Fin Rot Question?

fondoo

i notice some fin rot appearing on two of my goldfish today. the black moor has some fin rot on the anal fin and the oranda has it on the caudal fin. they've been treated with aquarium salt for a last week. could too much salt cause this? the water quality has been very good. what is the cause of fin rots??

Well, finrot is usually a bacterial infection which results from a few different things. Examples such as

- fin nipping

- parasites ie. flukes or ich as they introduce pathogenic bacteria into the skin.

- poor water quality

- inadequate filtration

- high bacterial counts in the water especially when gravel isn't cleaned regularly

- poor nutrition

With fin rot, you can usually tell when it's advancing as fins can become inflammed (very red). The biggest problem with fin rot is that left untreated, it can eat away the whole fin then start to invade the body

So basically, fin rot is a result of stress brought on by disease/parasites/poor water etc (as mentioned above) and the first step to cure is perfect waterconditions, and then trying to pinpoint the underlying cause.

Hows your ammonia?

It could be the start of fin rot - are the edges black or red?

Have you had a heater in there recently?

It's very isolated with the edges discoloured which makes me think it could be due to high ammonia but if your water parameters are perfect, then it'd go ahead and salt the tank to 0.1%.

Hopefully this will be all you need but if you notice it getting worse, then you may need to treat the underlying cause.

How long have his fins been like this? How are your water parameters? Basically you need to try and eliminate all stressors that could have caused this... so please post back your parameters and any other clues you can think of ie. trauma etc :)

ammonia levels have been none. the edge are black. i have a Seachem Ammonia Alert and it didnt even change color for "Alert".

9/30 20Gal water change

10/1 pH:7.6, Ammon:0, Nitrite:0, NitrAte:0

10/4 pH:7.6, Ammon:0, Nitrite:0, NitrAte:0

10/7 pH:7.6, Ammon:0, Nitrite:0, NitrAte:5

10/9 50% water change (notice the finrot)

10/10 pH:7.2, Ammon:0, Nitrite:0, NitrAte:10

Looking over your history - i notice no nitrates on 10/1 and 10/4, were you cycling your tank at that time? This concerns me as you show no ammonia or nitrites either... which is why i'm curious to know whether you have relied on your ammonia alert as the only indicator of ammonia?

Nitrates only start to appear once the ammonia has been converted to nitrites then to nitrates.... The only time you should show 0's on all 3 is pre-cycle.

The black on the edges of the fin indicates healing (first noticed on 9/10) - which would make sense if your coming through the final stages of your tank's cycle.

How long has the tank been set up?

Archived