Which Fish?

Kissy

I have a ten gallon tank, with a 100pgh Penguin filter and I plan on adding some bio media also. My pH is 7.9-8 Kh is 300+ My gH is very soft, but I have access to very very hard water so I could mix up a potion if necassary. I have two black neon tetras currently and plan on getting 4 more for a total of six.

So I heard that cories won't do well in a higher pH like mine? I was planning on getting three cories to complete my tank, but now I'm not sure. The tetras prefer a much lower pH, but my two have been just fine. I wish I could just have a lower pH to make them perfectly happy, but I can't. I rescued one and fell in love so now I'm stuck with them. I would still like some variety in my tank, but I'm not sure what.

Some ideas: 6 black neons, 2 platies; 6 black neons, 2 adfs; 4 black neons, 4 black neons, 4 neons; 4 black neons, 4 white clouds

The cories are still my first choice, but do the above combinations sound okay? Any other suggestions?

aww I like them :D

Man now I can't decide...cories, platies or glowlights...

I so wish I had a bigger tropical tank so I could have them all :heart

Can anyone tell me about these fishes' personalities? Are platies schooling fish? Will glowlights school with black neons?

Crap I need to stop looking at fish sites. I found some rosy reds that I love. They look like mini comets!

I've thought about Glowlights also :) I still can't decide what schooling fish I want for my 10 gallon -_- It's so hard to pick fish for such a small tank!

I'm still keeping an eye on it right now to make sure my guppy is okay. My others died in the same way so I didn't know if there was a disease in there or not but the female seems to be doing great! I'm slowly working the salt out of the tank again too.

I plan on getting 3 albino cories for the tank but I can't decide on a group of schooling fish -_- So far I've priced:

White Clouds, Harlequin Rasbora, Glowlights and Neon Tetras (I don't know if I'll go with the neon's though.. I've read neon's tend to get ill much easier :(

I can't decide which to go with though -_- All are roughly the same price, $1-$2 per fish. LoL

If you go for the more robust cory for instance the bronze then they will be ok in the water you have. Ask your lfs what ph his water is at to give you an idea of whether you can keep them or not.

Yes, Sandy is right :) If you chose the hardiest cories, such as peppered, bronze (or the albino variant of the bronze), they will do fine in your high ph. I have been keeping these cories for nearly 20 years in ph 7.8 - 8 without problem. In fact, my oldest cory is 13 years old!

I decided to go with 3 peppered or bronze cories. I'm going to acclimate them to the pH very slowly by placing them in a bucket with bubble wand and adding my water, taking away their water, adding my water, taking away their water, etcvery slowly til the pH's match. Then they go to the 10 gal qt tank.

Touchofsky, that's neat! I hope my cories will live that long.

I been having urges to start up a cheery barb tank... their just so cute!

409307[/snapback]

Yes the cherry barbs are very cute and active. I have 4 of them in my 10 gal. tank along with 6 white clouds. The cherry barbs and white clouds play with each other a lot.

Thinking of getting 3 female cherry barbs to add to the group since I have all males hence pushing the 1in. per gallon rule.

platty's are my school of choice. 

too many posts about different fish, i cant keep it straight :)   so you decided on 3 cories, kissy?  that should be a cool tank.

411388[/snapback]

Yep, 3 cories and 6 black neons total. I'm not sure which type of cory I will get yet, but probably bronze or peppered. I'll decide at the store.

Archived