Jump to content

To Rub Or Not To Rub Off


Junasai777

Recommended Posts

  • Regular Member

There is a whitish, translucent film building up on the sides of the glass of my 11-day old tank. It feels sort of slimy, but rubs off quickly when I rub it with my hand. Is this stuff good or bad? Should I leave it as it is, or should I clean it off? I've been doing partial water changes every other day so the water is clean, but this stuff on the glass makes it look slightly cloudy. I'm guessing this is a part of the cycle that my new tank has to go through, but am wondering if I should take it off or not.

Also, I want to teach my goldfishes to feed from my hand, but how do you go about doing this? I usually feed them flakes, as well as some veggies, and I tried doing it, but it's pretty awkward and difficult, especially with the flakes. The fishes aren't scared of my hand and will swim right up to it, but I can't put the food in their mouths. Are there any foods that are best (easy to handle) when trying to teach them to eat from my hand? Thanks!

Jun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

Just scrap it off, I dont know what it is but my tanks get it too. I can only really tell that something was on it though when I use my mag float (algae scrapper) and the glass looks so much clearer where I just used it and where I haven't used it it looks kinda hazy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

i use algae scrapper too, it works good.

i hand feed my telescope flakes, i find the big ones and just hold it with my finger and dip it in and he comes for it most of the time some times it takes him a while for him to notice. i have small sinking pellets but they are too small for me to hand feed, i do peas too and they'll eat that from my hand. once they catch on to what your are doing it's easy to hand feed, i only want to hand feed that one, but they all come for it now, it's fun :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Regular Member

OK, thank you! I'll scrape it off with an algae scrapper. And I'll try hand feeding them with flakes or peas. But my red cap oranda is still sick and not feeling well...and I'm still not sure what exactly is wrong with him!! It's driving me crazy; I'm so worried about him! :( I put in Parasite Clear yesterday night, so we'll see if that works for him. Does anyone know how long the filter cartridge has to be left out when using Parasite Clear? Because my water looks already murky, and I don't want my water to become toxic for him!! Also, do you think that the Parasite Clear won't work if I do a partial water change today?

Thanks everyone for your help.

Jun

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...