How Long Do These Need To Soak?

Guest JustJayde

Guest JustJayde

Heya :) Today I went fishie shopping and found river stones in a cheapo dollar store and have them soaking. As well as a clay pot UNGLAZED. I cant get the whole pot in the water at once, so ill have to flip it over for the second half :( lol

How long do both of them need to soak to make sure they are safe for the tank?

:) NOW I just need the aquarium sealant which is REALLY hard to find here :(

you should be able to find aquarium sealant easily at any hardware store/kmart/whatever you have. Its just silicone, the clear stuff people put on windows n things. Some say its safe for aquariums, buy that if your scared, but just look at the ingredients of the "aquarium safe" ones and match it to a cheaper brand. I dont know how long to soak the rocks, i didn't know you had to soak them! they're just rocks, wouldn't you just clean them? if they have to be soaked wouldn't they not be suitable for a tank? i dunno.

I have terracotta pots which i just cleaned and put in my tropical tank.

Guest JustJayde

Nowhere that I was able to get to had aquarium safe sealant. So as I said it is not so easy to find here. Perhaps if I had a way to get to other stores it would be a different story but I am limited in where I can get.

I will keep hunting for it. (I do know what it is though ;) I have done my own home repairs since I was about 17 yrs old :D )

Ok I thought the pot needed a longer soaking time but apparently I was wrong ;) thankies for all the replies! Just waiting on sealant and I am good to go!

:D

Around here most pet stores carry aquarium sealent, or did you try HomeDepot? You do have HomeDepot in Canada? :unsure:

Guest JustJayde

I tried 2 pet shops and 2 hardware shops, and yes home depot was one of them. They HAD sealant that was listed as aquarium safe apparently but found out it was killing the fish so it was taken off the shelves here. Be careful, he said it is still on the shelves in USA.

It's ok I will spend time tomorrow calling around and try to locate some, and send my helper on a mission.

:)

Guest JustJayde

Hmn I dunno how you say don't soak this because I did anyway just to be safe, and after about a week, the water has turned the brown color the pot is...

I think I will soak the pot another week or two and see how it goes.................. but it makes me nervous..........

thoughts?

If you can find 100% GE Silicone at your home improvement center, that would work fine for aquariums. Remember, it HAS to be 100% GE silicone and nothing more in it...... ;)

River stones are perfect for aquariums, a is, Just a really good scrubbing and rinsing under HOT tapwater is all that is needed. If the clay pot is terra cotta, the same goes for it.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest JustJayde

the pot is terra cotta but as I have said it is turning the water I have it sitting in brown................ is it going to hurt fishie or make my water look gross like that? or can the filter power it out?

Terra cotta shouldn't leech into the water. Quality terra cotta, anyway.

OR

Maybe I haven't ever noticed the leeching into the water becasue I haven't just sat it a bowl of water to sit. In that case, yes, the filter, along with regularly scheduled waterhanges should keep the leeching unnoticable.

A good scrub and rinse should do the trick....

Paul

Guest JustJayde

hehehe it's the pot, I had it soaking in a glass bowl by itself ;)

I changed the water 3 times, and now it seems to be done turning the water..........

it was a quality pot... it didn't turn the water until the 2nd or 3rd day of soaking so perhaps no one else has noticed it because they just washed it and put it in the tank.

either way it is done leeching now, so I will attach some river stones to it wth sealant and let that cure, then give fishie his new hidey spot..

the poor lil guy is too big for all of his hidey spots now :( he has a hard time trying to hide because his big caboose sticks out LOL I will be removing his 2 hidey spots and putting in the one big pot..............

it'll take up about half his tank but at least he can hide in it, and he can swim in and out of it easily for many years to come :)

Guest JustJayde

hehehe sure thing :) I am just waiting to get the sealant :D

I decided to plug the hole in the bottom of the pot until he is big enough not to even risk getting stuck, then I will remove the silicone beading somehow to allow water passage through the pot through the hole again..... (how does one remove the sealant without cracking or breaking the pot??

I am going to silicone river stones into the pot :) and some at its base to keep the pot from rolling... I think it will be fantastic.

Archived