Amonia? Fin Rot?

Guest cate_anne

Guest cate_anne

I'm afraid I have gone about buying a fish the wrong way... I am doing the most detailed research after buying the fish. Won't happen again.

I bought my new fish today, so she is in a clean fresh tank, with no other fish.

Anyway, I have found put about 'cycling' the tank, which involves introducing amonia to the water, thereby allowing 'good' bacteria to form to counteract it, BEFORE adding the fish... right??

Well I'm afraid my (fancy 2inch-long calico fan-tail) fish has gone in already, to an uncycled tank. The water stood for 20hours before adding the fish, and I used Tetra 'Aqua-safe' water conditioner, but that's all. She seems very lethargic.

Do you think Phoebe (my fish) will pull through? Is there anything I can do to help keep her healthy until the tank has cycled?

One more question: Fin Rot. I think she might have it, because her dorsal fin is a bit 'tatty'. Not sure though- I might be getting paranoid, BUT, will it do any harm to treat her for it, just to make sure, even though it might turn out that she didn't have it after all? (I think I would use the 'Gold' brand)

Sorry for asking all these questoins, and thank you!!

Hi cate anne

I think it would be best if u tell us the size of ur tank. I fu dunno, just tell us the dimensions and we can count the volume for u. Since u haven't got a filter (which u should have, cos goldfish is veeeery messy & poops alot) the smaller ur tank is, the more often u gotta change the water. A filter just make ur life a whole lot easier cos u dont need to be changing the water that often.

A water conditioner works instantly :D u dont need to let the water sit for hours on end ;)

One last note: before u buy anything, consult with us first :D . I've pretty much stopped trusting pet shop staffs (except a few i know well) cos they sometimes can give u wrong info and lead u into more trouble more often than not.

good luck mate & :welcome

cheers

Guest cate_anne

Thanks... okay lemme see. The tank is 12 inches long 8 inches wide, and 7 inches down. I have fed her a few flakes of Aquarian goldfish flake food, put a 'Supa' oxygenating tablet in (but it's vanished- hope she hasn't eaten it), and used AquaSafe on the water. That's all I can tell you really.

I have come to the conclusion I have bought an unhealthy fish. She seems to have early swim bladder disease and fin rot, and seems very unhappy.

Now all I want to know is how to make her well again. :(:ill:(

Is there any way you can post pictures? If you have a digital camera you can put the pictures on a server like Webshots or Photobucket for free and then link the page with your pics to your post. It sound complicated but its really easy once you start doing it. If not then can you describe the fin problem as clearly as you can, maybe hunt around the web for a picture of something that looks like what you've got?

Okay as for treatment, it's never good to treat for something you don't have so until you find out for sure you should salt the tank a bit. As soon as you can go to your local fish store (LFS) and pick up some aquarium salt. There should directions on the box for how much to use, I think it's something like 1tsp per gallon.

By the dimensions of your tank (12x8x7), I'd say its only 3-4 gallons (I'm not sure exactly, I'm just eyeballing it), not nearly big enough. I would recomend getting a ten gallon as soon as possible.

Yep nichjake's right, looks like a 3-4 gallon.

Unfortunately in a 3-4 gallon u have to change 100% of the water everyday or once every 2 days cos the water becomes toxic real soon. Looks like the "friendly & knowledgeable" fish guy u bought the fish from is not knowledgeable (at least about goldfish) after all.

What u can do now is get a much bigger container (a rubbermaid tub is great) of no less than 10 gal and keep the water as clean as possible. In case of the fin rot, salting the tank will help (not sure how to do this, hopefully some of the more experienced members will help).

Don't get discouraged :D caring a goldfish is more than just bowl & water but it's relatively easy to care and once u get going & everything settles down, u'll get hooked ;)

cheers

Guest cate_anne

Thank You! She seems a lot more perky this morning I'm glad to say, swimming around a lot more. I'm afraid I can't upload pictures because I don't have a digital camera.

As for the fins and tail, they quite long, but are ragged. If you look at the 'outline' of them, or if you could trace them on a piece of paper, instead of one smooth line around the edge there would be a zig-zaggy one.

If you think it is fin rot, any ideas on the best treatment to use? or what deffinately NOT to use? (I live in the UK btw if that makes a difference)

Thanks for advice about the fish tank, I will change it as soon as I can, but in practise it's going to be tricky; I am a student in a small town, and the only pet store here that sells fish tanks is the bad one, and the only other tanks they had for coldwater fish were only a bit bigger than mine- maybe 5-6 gallons. I have no car, so the best opportunity to get a bigger tank will be when I visit home, in 3-4weeks time. Is this going to be a big problem?

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your beginnings in fishkeeping aren't going well!

Do you have a filter in your tank? If not I'd try and get one, personnaly I like internal canister filters. If you do then that's great. Do you know anyone that has a healthy tank up and running? If so you could ask them for some of their filter sponge to help the cycle along. You can also buy starter culter for new tanks with bacteria in, that would probably help too.

It's also worth getting ammonia and nitrite tester kits so that you can see for yourself how your cycle is going. You should get an ammonia peak then a nitrite peak. Your LFS might do this for you though, then you wouldn't need to buy the kits. You can also buy AmQuel+ which makes ammonia and nitrites non-toxic in emergencies.

I hope that some of that info is useful. Setting up a new tank is really expensive, and finding the stuff you need can be tricky too. Once your water chemistry is sorted out then the fin rot will probably clear up on it's own. Perseve with your water changes, you're doing what you can which is the most important thing.

Good Luck!

Jenna

:)

Salt is easy to use - use 1 teaspoon per gallon, so you would add 3 or 4 traspoons. Every time you change the water, replace the amount of salt that you take out.

If it looks like your little guy has swim bladder problems, you should soak the flakes in a little bit of tank water for about 20 mins. Then fishie won't be sucking in as much air and the food won't expand as much in his stomach. If you can get your hands on some fresh veggies or fruit cut it up really small and give him a few peices of that.

Do you have a test kit? On your next trip to the pet store, you should pick one up. You will need ammonia, pH, nitrIte and nitrAte.

Good luck and :welcome

Archived