How Long Does Pro-gold Stay Good?

Guest Vex

I just had some questions about the food I am using. I have a bag of Pro-gold, Spirulina flakes and some Omega One flakes. I was wondering how long does the food stay good? And does anyone keep their food anywhere else besides right under or next to the tank? Is there a better way of keeping this food? Because I have always kept my food out beside or under the tank. I just wanted to make sure there is not a better spot as far as temperature and the likes to keep the food fresh and good.

Thank you guys for the link. I had read that but it had been awhile and could not find it when I was looking for it. That will help me out some.

If you're still in doubt on the Pro Gold I wouldn't hesitate to e-mail Rick at goldfishconnection.com as Jack of Hearts suggested. I have e-mailed him on a few occasions and he always replies quickly and thoroughly.

(If you do find out from him, will you post his answer, please? I'm sure there are others on this board who are wondering the same question. I just got some ProGold and will probably e-mail him eventually if I don't find the answer in the mean time.)

:) I think the key words here are cool/dry place. Make sure that you keep your bags sealed,and that will help keep it as fresh as Rick sends it to you. Here,I found the answers to your questions! What's the best way to store my fish food?"

First, let me share with you the four things that really effect the freshness of your goldfish food. Heat, Light, Air and Moisture.

Now lets talk about the options we have for storage. The refrigerator, no heat, very little light, if the goldfish food is sealed in an "air tight" package no air, the problem with the "fridge" is, "Moisture", caused by condensation developing on the inside of the goldfish food package. So the "fridge" is out. So lets try freezing our goldfish food, no Heat, no Light, no Air, if sealed in an "air tight" package and no Moisture. Sounds perfect! Only one problem, the "Fatty Acids" in the goldfish food become rancid very quickly when the goldfish food is thawed. If you are going to freeze your goldfish food, freeze it in small "air tight" packages that you will use within two to three days, max.

Do not freeze large amounts of goldfish food that will take more than three days or weeks to feed, because it will spoil very fast. Storing your goldfish food in an air tight package in a cool dry place it the best. That's why I like the metallic bags we use to package our goldfish food in,you can press all the air out of of the bag and seal it air tight.

Please remember, all the good storage in the world, doesn't mean anything if your goldfish food is old when you buy it. Some goldfish foods pass many hands and lots of time before it reaches you. By the time goldfish foods are made at the mill, and sent to a "Master Distributor" then to a "Distributor" then to a "Wholesaler" then to the "Retailer" then to you, "how old is your goldfood??" And that's fast, compared to the goldfish food made in other countries that is shipped to the U.S. in very hot "containers" on ships that can take weeks to arrive here in the U.S.

Buy "American Made". The U.S. produces excellent high quality fish food. Don't be fooled by ad5, telling you goldfish food made in Japan or China is superior to "American Made" goldfish foods, it's just not true. You know I'm going to tell you about our Fish Foods we offer. Our goldfish foods like our Pro-Gold are developed for us by Dr. Matthews a Veterinarian and Doctor of Animal Nutrition, with over tweny years in Aqua-Culture research. Our Fish Foods are made in a FDA inspected, certified Mill. From us to you and no middleman guarantees freshness to you! Plus!!! our fish food is American Made!!

Thank You for your time,

Rick

Rick - 10/06/05 - Viewed 2246 times.

I have discussed this with Rick a couple of times, and his suggestions above are good. The only thing we have discussed beyond this is the use of a vacumn sealer for the food.

I have one of those machine that allows me to vacumn pack food into individual plastic bags. I take my fish food and seal a Tablespoon or whatever into individual bags that are labeled with contents and date purchased/sealed. This works for MediGold and MEtroMeds too.

Once vacumn sealed, you can extend the life of the product for several months longer. I try to make sure all the food is used within 6 months, but, once sealed and stored in a cool, dark spot, it is good for a long time.

Rick is now vacumn sealing his jars of MediGold as they are processed - so you will recieve it already sealed. If you have the ability to reseal, you can extend the life by many times. I make up packs of what it would take to treat one fish for 2 weeks in each bag. I make up bags of food for 1 week of the PRoGold, Spirilana, and other specialities I purchase. :)

Archived