Why Is My Fish Sinking?

Guest cate_anne

Guest cate_anne

Today I bought a new fish- it is about two inches long, calico coloured, with a fan tail. I thought the man in the shop seemed knowledgable and friendly, but after I came out, I overheard some ladies saying that the shop had a bad track record for selling ill fish.

So now I'm watching my fish closely... she can swim o.k, but when she stops swimming she sinks to the bottom slowly and sits there. I'm sure they're not meant to do this.

I have been doing a bit of research and sounds like it might be swim bladder disease or Flukes... what do you think??

Have also read if it's S.B. I should feed her peas... but should I feed her raw ones or cooked?

If it is Flukes- what should I do for it? I can't see anything abnormal on her, but then, I am a new fish owner. Would it do her any harm to treat her for it even if she hasn't got it, just in case?

She lives in a middle-sized tank (not sure how many gallons though) and she is my only fish. The water is very clean, as she is new, but I don't have a filter, but I intend to clean the water regularly.

Please help me!

Okay, I don't know anything about flukes, someone else will have to help you with that. When feeding peas you cook them and then mash them up so they are small enough for your fish to eat.

Based on what you said it does sound like SBD, the peas will help. Also soak whatever food you are giving your fishie in some water from the tank before you feed it to your fish, this gets all the air out of the food and helps keep SBD under control.

Since your fish is new and you don't really know if it may be sick or not you should get some aquarium salt and follow the direction on the box. The salt will keep bacteria and other bad bugs at bay and help your fish. The salt is fairly cheap, only 2-3 dollars so it is a very worthwile investment.

Just out of curiosity, what are you feeding your fish? As you explore this site you wil find tons of useful info and many people willing to help. :welcome

Guest cate_anne

Thanks alot! I have fed my fish a pea, and she's eaten a bit, so we'll see if it works. The temperature is ok (about 21oC) but she is still very inactive. I hope she'll cheer up soon. Actually, I have a few more questions, but I'll post them on a seperate topic...

Thanks guys!

Archived