Bacteria Boom?

Guest goldcrazy

Guest goldcrazy

Hello goldfish friends...

I am having some difficulty with bacteria blooms in two of my tanks. I only drain 20% of my water so I don't understand why I am having this problem. I do stir up the rocks a bit to vacuum out the crud, other than that I try not to disturb too much. How can I avoid this problem? I am getting tired of looking at milky water.

Goldcrazy

How long has your tank been set up. If it has been less than 6 weeks your tank might still be cylcing and thats normal. The water will clear up when you get a good healthy bug population that will help take care of the waste generated by the fish.

What size is you tank and how long has it been set up? If your tank is overstocked this could also cause the water to be cloudy, to much fish waste and not enough space for it to dissipate and be broken down by the bio bugs. The general rule is ten gallons per fancy goldie and 20 gallons per comet/common goldies.

If neither of these situations applies I'm not sure what to tell you...maybe someone else will post something useful.

I hope my post is at least a little helpful....

At lot of things contribute to a bacterial bloom or cloudy water but the most common is a large bio load in the tank, and/or if the tank is relatively new, less than 6 mths old.

Can you answer a few questions just to give us a better idea of your situation?

Size of both your tanks?

Age of your tanks?

Number of fish and their size?

Type of filtration?

Ammonia/nitrIte/nitrAte and pH readings in the tank.

How often do you do water changes?

Just from the information above it would probably help if you did larger water changes, perhaps 30-40%. Make sure you do a thorough vacuum as debris will breakdown into minute particles that the fish stir up and that will make the water cloudy too.

Archived