Rot, Ulcers, Bacteria, Fungus!

Lozbug

:cry1 just seems to go from bad to worse... after 3 weeks of treating with melafix, the 4 fish are no better. I went to the vets yesterday and got some antibiotics, which you bath them in for 20 mins a day for 3 days - then call him and see what to do next....

post-4056-1128767256_thumb.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank goodness you got some antibiotics - you should hopefully see some improvement. What kind did you get?

To be honest loz - IMHO melafix does diddly squat to anything that needs special care. It may help if a fish scratches itself but not much more.

Have you completed the first round of meds yet?

no jen, day two today (call vet again monday) they are called, Metronidazole.

i agree, melafix seem to only work for the minor, or very early stages...

Gordon (goldfish), started as fin rot, perry (small blue shubunkin) started as very small ulcer, Dec (blue shubunkin) again fin rot & kevin (big shubunkin) had gill rot, fin rot, and now fungus... but look at them now... :(

vet says he does have another antibiotic i can try if this don't work, but it is very strong!

just googled the med...

What is metronidazole (me troe NI da zole)?

? Metronidazole is an antibiotic. It fights bacteria in your body.

? Metronidazole is used to treat infections such as abdominal infections, skin and tissue infections, bone and joint infections, gynecologic infections, and respiratory tract infections.

yeah - they look so poorly :cry1

Metronidazole is great for stubborn cases of lesions - it's used especially in cases on hole in the head disease, so hopefully it'll do its work well. It also treats humans for what you mentioned above and is packaged as Flagyl. It's a strong med to cure many internal bacterial maladies.

Have you seen any improvement at all? How are they acting? Can you feed them any medicated food? Although I think you face the same problems we do in Australia, they're hard to come by :(

Was the other antibiotic your vet mentioned baytril?

no, no med food that i can find in UK, and my supply of medi-gold has run out.

they are still swiming about and eatcin fine.... not had there med today yet... did it about 5pm yesterday, so same today i think, they don't like being moved from tank to tank... but i have to...

he didnt say whay it was called, and he would have to check it out as 1 fish med has recently been banned as it is really dangerous!

he mention 1 i may have to inject them with! and may have to swab the dead skin off too....

gawd knows how much this will all cost, i didn't even ask... they have opened me an account..

Yeah, I have an account at my vet also and when the bill comes in each time? Oh the pain.... :thud

I've a feeling the injectable med he's talking about is baytril - something I now keep in my fish meds cabinet at all times.

The first time I had to inject one of my bigger fish (he wasn't responding to anything else) I was an absolute mess but with the helpful instructions from my vet, it became easy (admittedly, i almost fainted the first time :D ). It's about the only way - other than medicated food - that a fish can get immediate help.

Swabbing the dead skin off? :crp I don't envy you that task especially as it's a fair bit different than swabbin fins with iodine. Wish I was there so I could come over and help you.

I'm praying the metronidazole works quickly and please loz, post back after the next bath. I'm hoping it goes well :heart

thanks jen, :heart wish you were here too, i am dreading having to do injections & swabs... i'll be a wreck... i know mum wont do it, and i think dad may be a bit heavy handed.... yes lets pray the metronidazole works, i'll take some pictures today as well, so i can see how much it's working...

:hug

Ohh :( Good luck making your fishies better. How is the metronidazole doing? I know thats a good tough anti-biotic. I really hope it works for you and I hope your vet doesn't charge you a fortune. :goodluck

Thank you both :heart

they have just had today's bath, i think Gordon looks a bit better (goldfish) not sure if perry does (small shubunkin with big ulcers). i'm taking pictures everyday to see if there is improvment....

post-4056-1128791947_thumb.jpg

post-4056-1128791957_thumb.jpg

I think it may be a few days before perry starts to improve although if his ulcer isn't getting any bigger - that's a massive plus.

Maybe you may only need to inject perry if he shows now improvement in the next couple of days? And that's great that gordon is looking a little better :D

How long did the vet say to look out for any improvement? What about dec and kevin? Any improvement there? Has the fungus started to disappear yet?

vet said no improvemnt by monday, then there wont be and he would get the other med.

Kevins fungus bit looked a hint less, ant's fins looked same i reckon.

I have to call vet monday let him know how they are, and if i need any other meds, the antibiotics will only last today then i'm out, i only had enough for 3 days. he did say the perry may need to have a swab to get rid of dead skin.

let you know how they are after todays bath :hug

Archived