Strange Behaviour

Peanuts

My two fish keep swimming around in circles with Chris (the ranchu/lionhead) nuzzling at the base of Alan?s tail, this mostly happens at feeding time so I was wondering if this is Chris picking on Alan or something else

This is dominant/territorial behaviour and it is often seen at feeding time. Nothing to worry about if it stops after feeding. Make sure that your moor is getting his share, if not just increase the amount of food.

Sorry, I couldn't edit the above post but if it is happening a lot outside of feeding time it could be breeding behaviour and Chris sounds like a male. Once again nothing to worry about so long as it doesn't get too rough.

Sorry, I couldn't edit the above post but if it is happening a lot outside of feeding time it could be breeding behaviour and Chris sounds like a male.  Once again nothing to worry about so long as it doesn't get too rough.

408615[/snapback]

So Alan could be Alannetta? :blink:

But I think that I?ll take your advice on giving them more as Alan doesn?t always seem 'interested' in his food. and is more timmid at feeding time. Alan usually likes to eat from the bottom of the tank while Chris likes to gobble things that float or even snatch food from my hands, so i guess it isn't going to be too hard for me to mix in a few sinking foods with their flakes.

BTW are Ant eggs good for fish? I've bought some to give as a treat now and then but i thought i'd ask.

That's exactly what I do - feed some fish from the top and others at the bottom, it helps the slower, vision challenged fish get a fair go.

I have never heard of feeding ant eggs to fish but if you read it somewhere else and your fish like them it should be ok.

Alan may still be a male. Sometimes 2 males will chase each other during breeding season, a change in weather can set them off. But it sound more like Chris is just a greedy so 'n so. ;)

Ok so i don't have to worry about them, that's good, and if it ever does turn out that Alan is a girl i wouldn't mind :exactly

Ant eggs

These are the Ant eggs that i got for them, they gobbled them up really quickly, faster then their flakes and other foods, but they are high in protein so like i said I?ll only use them as a treat.

Archived