Is This Colour Change? Or Something Else?

Guest Yen

Hi, I have a little blackmore who seems to be going through something.

He's the slowest growing of all my fish (I've had him for 1 year now) and about 2 months ago, noticed the tips of his fins started to turn translucent. I thought it was maybe something fungal so moved him into a smaller tank where he stayed for 4 weeks with 0.3% salt. I don't think he was sick as he was still extremely active so after that time, moved him back into his 40 gallon tank.

Just recently he lost some scales on an ornament and they grew back gold and in just the last 2 weeks, the black in his fins started to fade even more and the ventral fins are now are turning gold - but his caudal fins are fading even more and becoming more noticeably transparent.

My question is - is this normal? Do blackmore's change colour by washing out first before turning gold?

Admittedly, he is the smallest and grows very slowly...

He is in a 40 gallon tank with 2 other fish and the water readings are ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates between 10-20 and ph 7.6. The tank has been set up for a year where he has lived happily all that time (I also change 40-50% of the water weekly). I have posted a couple of pictures if that helps.

Many thanks, Dan

DSCN0004.jpg

DSCN0005.jpg

I'm no expert and I may be wrong but I think he's just changing colors.We have members here that got black moors and ended up with gold ones.Black is an unstable color so some black fish tend to change color in time.I'm sure it's nothing to worry about :) Let's see what other knowledged members think :D

Thankyou Coyote ugly and I hope you're right. I thought when they went through a colour change it was black to gold, not black to transparent and then to gold. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about.

Thanks again

Archived