Anyone Gone Tropical?

trundlecat

Hi All,

I posted a month or so ago when I was cycling my 1st little tank but have since seriously upgraded & got quite fanatical.

Hubby has agreed that for christmas I can have the biggest tank I can can find. Just trying to decide now weather to add to the goldies or have the new tank for tropical. Does anyone here keep both? Do the tropicals have as much personality as the goldies or are they just ornamental?

If I use the huge tank for Goldies I'll use their current tank for snails (keep popping over to snail forum & fascinated with them) but can't quite decide what to do.

Looks like it's gonna be chips & summat for xmas dinner at our house cos I'll be too busy setting up the new tank to cook :D

Thanks,

Mandy

Well, My main tank has goldies in it. I had two 20 gallons with tropicals in it for awhile, but had to get rid of it :( I love the tropicals, but I can tell you, they dont have much personality compared to the goldies! I did have puffers tho, which were soo cute and had alot of spunk... LOL... im thinking of getting a figure eight if I can convince ryan to let me get another tank :)

I would say goldies in big tank and tropicals in a smaller one... but thats just me... LOL... i also have three betta tanks spread around the house.

Good luck with the new tank when you get it. I bought my big tank right after xmas... LOL... lots of fun. :heart

I have two planted tropical tanks with tetras and I have to admit that even though they look much better than my goldie tanks, they are a bit boring compared to goldfish.

I don't know how to describe it. Maybe the tropical planted tank is like a living landscape painting which makes the room look nice but the fish are just part of the scenery. While goldfish are more like having pets instead. Underwater guinea pigs! I just find I prefer having pets! :)

I agree with the others. My goldfish definitely have more personality than my tropicals. I guess the tropicals with the most personality are my bettas. Of course, the males are kept separated in small tanks, but the females cohabit. Bettas are quite personable little things :D I also get quite attached to my corydoras catfish. I love those little guys and they are very long lived, so become real members of the family :lol:

I think cichlids are quite personable, but I have never kept them.

You must be excited about getting a new tank!

I went tropical! When Graham busted out of his 12g Eclipse and got an upgrade, I discovered that my cat really liked playing with the tank where it was stored on the floor. So, I got him some fish for his birthday! I had a few Danios before and I didn't really enjoy them so I did some research and came upon killifish. I really enjoy them! They are sdorable! And the cat is very happy watching them! It also gives me a chance to experiment with plants (I don't have a natural talent for plants). The difference the plants make in the WQ is very very noticeable!

A great site for checking out different types of fish you might want to put in a tropical tank is Dr. Foster's and Smith's - good pix, lots of info, easy format:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?pcatid=830

How big is your tank right now? Maybe you can keep a couple snails and some tropicals too. My betta has just as much personality as any goldfish, and I love him to death. I also have two tetras. They aren't quite as personable, but more so than what most people think (at least with my fishies). I do plan on getting more tetras and some cories for the tropical tank, and I've heard cories have more personality, but I'll have to tell you in a few weeks :)

Goldfish and some bettas are more "petlike" than most tropicals really.

I started out with tropicals. I currently have one resilient platy and a trio of danios. They do have a bout of crazy antics now and then, but looking at that tank really is more about being relaxed and watching the "wild animals" -- kind of like at the zoo.

My goldies, on the other hand, act just like little underwater guinea pigs (great analogy, awrieger). If I'm sleeping in, they'll swim to the side of the tank that's close to my bed and swim back and forth telling me they want to eat. And they have such cute/interesting interactions with each other and their surroundings. I have one goldie who likes to "slalom" as fast as she can (which really isn't that fast, but don't tell her :D ) through a row of plastic plants in her tank. And I swear I've witnessed my goldies playing something very near a game of tag.

I'd personally do the smaller tank for the tropicals. Tropicals are just much easier to take care of in small tanks than goldies are, in my opinion.

But it's up to you.

Baloons are brackish? I've only ever seen them in 100% freshwater :blink: I know mollies can handle a wide salinity range but I didn't think it was a requirement as long as the water isn't risking disease or whatever.

I started out tropical and went goldie...my favorite tropicals were: zebra danios, mollies of any sort (the big 4"er sailfins are a blast but really aggressive), platies, and dwarf gouramis. Rafael cats and rubberlip/rubbernose plecs are also fun. I did turn to the goldie side though after loosing a couple of my fav old tropicals. Tropicals to me seem like the best way to go if you want a tank that's easier to keep pretty, but you can't really get in and play with them in quite the same way as goldies. If you think about it, tropicals and saltwater are what they always use for doctors office fish tanks...gorgeous, but not always interactive setups.

I have my celestial and bubble eye in my "aquatic garden" so I get pets and pretty! :D

anywho... Tropicals are alright.. I have a dwarf puffer tank and a brackish tank... the brackish are my favorites, after my goldies though... I love Bumble Bee gobies!

I would do a REALLY huge goldie tank and use your current tank for tropics or brackish.... (if you want more info pm me ;) )

Baloons are brackish? I've only ever seen them in 100% freshwater  :blink:  

408709[/snapback]

Balloons are like other mollies.. can TOLERATE fresh water, but dont do the best... like goldies at tropical temps... My balloon is in my brackish tank and LOVING it! :D along with my dalmation mollie and three gobies ;)

Hi,

I did have a brief flirtation with tropicals (well large cichlid), which ended in an acrimonious split.

After this transgression, my goldies never looked at me quite the same... :)

Slugger :)

PS: I've recently started to see a clownfish regularly. Luckily my goldies haven't found out yet.

PS: I've recently started to see a clownfish regularly.?

408947[/snapback]

For a second there, I thought you were hallucinating. :D I thought, "well, that's one way to have all the fish you want..."

I went tropical last year but that was when I wasnt very educated about it and lost most of the fish, overstocked and got lazy with water changes. The tropicals I had like honey gouramis were nice but like most people are saying, don't have as much personality as goldies or my bettas. But I think a nice community tropical tank is always a nice addition :)

I do also adore clownfish, but I'm not quite in the market for a marine tank ;)

Thanks everyone! I think it's definitely gonna be a huge Goldie playground & will decide after xmas weather I'm going to go tropical or snails or something totally different in the smaller tank Will go break the good news to Basil, Sybil, Manuel & Polly over a tubiflex cube..... & maybe find a treat for the fish while I'm chewing :D

and I've been dyin to do this ----> :newfish "Polly" is a yellow common with a big white nose & Basil thinks she's gorgeous, never leaves her side.

Thanks again,

Mandy

Here's another take on the topic. I keep a 55 gallon African cichlid tank, Lake Malawi. I have Electric Yellow Labs and Cobalt Blues. They are VERY colorful, and their breeding habits are very interesting. They require a high pH tank, but once it's set up, cycled and balanced, they are very easy to keep. I even have babies coming out of my ears I could ship to you if you became interested. I'd only ask you to pay the shipping costs, I just want to make sure they get good homes. I'd be glad to tell you more about their care, feeding, breeding and agression levels. Let me know :)

bh

goldies are my #1 fav, next bettas. right now i have some guppies, all the adults i bought died on me within a week or two, but one of them had babies and i've managed to keep them alive and they are soooo cute!! i love them and i think they are cute to watch, they know when i feed them just like my goldies do. they all rush to the top when they see me, they're too cute :) i can't wait for them to be full grown so maybe you can try those too if you like them.

The only tropicals that I know of that are friendly like goldies is Oscars!! They watch you & wiggle happily & are playful together! :exactly

Archived