Is My Tank Cycled?

Guest shygirl0787

Guest shygirl0787

I just set up my new 20 gallon tank on Sunday and my goldfish has been living in it a few days. While setting up the tank I took thr filter from my smaller aquarium and dunked the filter cartridge in the new tank in hopes of transfering some good bacteria. Since then, I have been unable to get an accurate ammonia reading on my ammonia test kit (the color doesn't seem to match any of the options) and when I tested for nitrates and nitrites, nitrites were at zero and the nitrates were under 20 ppm. Does this mean my tank is cycled?

Guest shygirl0787

I did not leave the filter in the new tank because I wanted to keep my smaller aquarium running. If I go by vvvv today I will ask them to test the water for me. Thanks for your help

It is unlikely that your tank is cycled yet. As Jen said, it is possible to do it that quickly but usually that is achieved by transferring mature filter media into the new filter.

I think perhaps you haven't registered any ammonia/nitrIte readings yet. The nitrAte may have come from your 'dunking'.

Archived