Juwel Internal Filter Sponges

Guest jamoko

Guest jamoko

since getting my tank in may this year i was following the maintenance programe sugested on the juwel website. this included only having to do a water change approximately once every 6 weeks provided i changed and maintained the filter pads as they stated. however i have since been corrected and am now doing weekly water changes in accordance to water test results. i am now concerned that maybe the filter pads need more regular changing too.

i change the

poly pad weekly

black activated carbon sponge monthly

green nitrate removal sponge every 6 weeks

fine blue & coarse blue sponges i have cleaned in tank water or under running water but haven't yet replaced either of them

any advice greatly appreciated as i just want to do the best i can for my fish!

jamoko

In reality, you only need to use the floss for trapping large particles and then the rest cn be sponge material for holding your beneficial bacteria. then, you can use the following link to explain the hows and whys of proper filter maintenence: http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...showtopic=26495

Basically, you don't need the nitrAte pad because you are doing weekly waterchanges now. Same goes for the carbon pad.

What comes into contact with the water first, is the white pad. This should be cleaned under tapwater once a week to ensure proper flowthrough.

The blue sponges are your beneficial bacteria houses. These should NEVER be rinsed under tapwater. They are going to be the home for your bacterias that keep your ammonia and nitrItes at oppm, always (if the proper flowrate for your tank is observed). They should only be rinsed a bit in old tankwater, or dechlorinated water to remove the larger chunks of debris that build up. Never clean them 100%. Rinising under tapwater will kill a large portion of the bacteria and can compromise your water quality.

Does that help a bit? :huh:

Paul

Just to add as well, that the white filter for me needed changed each week as it could never be cleaned for reuse. You can replace the green and the black with other blue sponges if you wanted and as Paul has said always clean them out in old tank water. Its best as well to rotate the cleaning of the sponges to maybe one blue each week. Ive had my little juwel for over a year now and ive never needed to change the blue sponges and swapped the charcoal out for a blue.

Guest jamoko

thanks for the advice guys, yes i have to completely change my white polypad everyweek as it would be impossible to rinse it clean! i didn't realise that about the tap water so thanks for that, unfortunately that's exactly what i did do last night so i just hope i didn't do too much damage, i have previously rinced them in the syphoned tank water but they where just so filthy last night! it's difficult to imagine how all that sludge can be benificial to your tank :D

as for removing the carbon and nitrate sponges, surely it is of extra benifit to your tank to use them in addition to water changes? if i remove them will this not cause nitrates to rise?

jamoko

As an experiment get the nitrate from your tap water then from your tank and see if theres a difference. If there is then use the green sponge but i found no difference between the two.

Guest jamoko

my tapwater has a nitrate reading o 0ppm, the tank is currently 10-20ppm.

does your tapwater have a small amount of nitrates then if your getting a similar reading to your tank? or are you saying that both read 0ppm as if that's the case then that suggests a crash in the cycle? i'm a wee bit confused :blink:

24hrs on from washing the filter sponges my tank all water tests are fine

ph 7.6

ammonia 0.0

nitrIte 0.0

NitrAte 10-20ppm

so fingers crosssed i've got away with that one but i will keep a close eye on the levels!

jamoko

Need someone to explain why you have a nitrate reading though your tap water is 0. I suppose nitrite converting to nitrate will give you a reading which means the tank is fully cycled.

With you not having nitrate from the tap then i dont think you need a nitrate sponge, just do an extra water change to get the nitrate lower, but its not at a level to be anxious about and i dont think you have had a crash.

NitrAtes wll ALWAYS be on the rise. They are the end product of the nitrification cycle. Without specialized equipment, the build and build to toxic levels. Waterchanges are the only way to reduce their numbers with any efficacy.

In truth, medias that claim to be nitrAte sponges arent really doing what they are suggesting. One would think that a nitrAte sponge would cncentrate on nitrAtes, right? Wrong. They actually concentrate on the whole of the nitrification cycle (ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes), usually through ion exchange.

So, in reality, the nitrAte sponges and medias are actually taking up some of the load that the beneficial bacteria are suppose to handle. In theory, this creates a weaker bio-filter in that there isn't as many, or much, beneficial bacters going as there would be if the nitrAte sponge were omitted. Now, if the nitrAte sponge were to become full, abruptly, this "could"cause a minor bio-filter failure and create a rise in ammonia or nitrItes. Of course, were talking about some very slow and minor changes that aren't really of much significance in small aquariums.

You can continue to use each of the pad they suggest but its just running up the bill. You really only need mechanical and biological filtration. Chemical filtration isn't needed for goldfish tanks becasue of the frequent waterchanges. The waterchanges reduce the numbers of any toxins that build up in the tankwater at a much faster rate than they can build up. Not to mention the fact that waterchanges keep your pH steady through replenishing of KH (alkalinity).

Paul

Guest jamoko

yes that all makes sense, thankyou!

I actually have the carbon sponge out at the moment anyway as i'm treating the tank with melafix & pimafix as one of my fish has a pea size white growth on the side of it's eye which i have been unable to identify even after posting on the disease board! i had read on there about people using melafix & pimafix together so as i'd never heard of these medicines before i thought it'd be worth a try to see if it helped the eye at all.

any times before that i had treated the tank i hadn't removed the carbon sponge as i didn't realise you had to, so my medicine wasn't able to work...ooops!

what other purpose does the carbon sponge have other than removing medicine residues from the tank?

i'm definitely going to replace the carbon & nitrate sponges as your right the cost really does add up!

people are so wrong when they think goldfish are a cheap hobby :lol1

also if i have no carbon sponge in use and then treat the tank at any stage would i be as well to add a carbon sponge after treatment to remove the last of the medicine from the tank or should i just rely on them being removed through water changes?

sorry for all the questions!

jamoko

Using carbon is really a matter of opinion. I almost never use carbon because I know that a nice big waterchange is the best way to provide good, clean water. Even when trying to leach medications. ;)

Do you have a good pic of the white growth on your goldies eye? :huh:

Guest jamoko

fishsoreeye.jpg

hope this is clear enough, it's a pea sized whit growth attached to the edge of the eye. the fish still has a good appetite and seems content enough!

Just annoying not knowing what is wrong with it! all the other fish are fine.

jamoko

Well, I can tell you with a large degree of certainty that the growth is a tumor. It alone shouldn't be detrimental to your goldies health. Especially if it has stopped growing. Ive seen this type of growth a couple times and one every case, it grew to about exactly that size and stopped.

If it IS still growing, and continues to do so to the point of you seeing that it will become a real problem, you can have it removed by a vet. The trick is to find one near you....

All in all, it doesnt look like its a serious threat right now..... ;)

thanks toothless! yes i'm pretty sure that it has stopped growing as it's been that size for a while. It developed in may just after i got the new tank! at least i know now what it is and just to keep an eye on it!

jamoko

Archived