Pleco?

Guest Echo17

Guest Echo17

I got 3 pleco yesterday, the shop didn't specify which type, but were in coldwater tanks.

They are varying shades of brown and with spots..

How do I identify what type they are, and why can't you put common ones with goldfish?

I have the plecos in quarantine for the mo, not with my fish yet but any tips appreciated :krazy:

I can have pics by tomorrow..

Guest Echo17

I'v been reading up and only reason I can find is they 'suck on' goldfish.

The plecos are only like 2 inches long.. and my smallest goldfish is also 2'' and biggest only about 5''

Are these too small/too big? Are the sites talking about fully grown huge adult goldfish?

I dont intend to keep the plecos in the tank all their life, so dont worry about them getting huge in the tank, once they exceed a certain size I will find them a new home with a friend who has a huge tank, because I didn't realise plecos grow so large.

I'd return them but the store is miles & miles away, I picked them up because they were the first plecos being sold in coldwater I'v seen in years.

I could bring them to nearby petshops but the chances are they would die immediately in the conditions the petshops around here are like.. and I already feel responsible for them.. sucker me.. :)

My only pleco was one I had as a kid with my goldfish, and he was tiny, we had him for a while and still he was only a few inches.

Anyways, I still cant figure out my plecos.. o.0

I'd like to get them into the tank soon as they dont appear to be eating much and theres no algae to feed on in the quarantine tank..

Hi echo17 & :welcome

I have 2 bristlenose plecos and they're great, plus they only get to about 4-5 inches long. From I hear, common plecos are aggressive when they get big and will try to suck on goldfish's slime coat cos it's apparently very tasty :rolleyes: but it'll kill ur goldish!

Pics to help us identify ur plecos would be greatly appreciated but meanwhile this website might help: Planet Catfish

U can use their search feature. Just type in "common" and see what u get

Guest Chishower

I say no to common plecos also because they grow 18-24 inches long, and are very carnivorous when larger. Thats why tropicals sometimes vanish in tanks with commons.

Archived