Fantail With Dropsy

:ill i had my water tested the other day but i didnt ask what the levels were because my fish were fine but the owner said the water was fine the tank is 36" by 15" by 12" its been running eight months and it has a undergravel filter.

i change the water oncer or twice a week and i change between 25-50% using a gravel cleaner i have four 2" fish and i add tap safe when adding fresh water no new fish i had one fish die of suspected internal bacteria two weeks ago

one of my fish was showing signs of dropsy (pineconing on one side) and the other side was starting to pinecone too so ive added to the tank some anti internal bacteria medicine. this was added last nite and this afternoon i noticed some wierd white stuff hanging out of the raised scales underneath the scales is also very red but appart from that he is swimming and eating fine he doesnt even sit at the bottom he is a white fish so i dont know if the red patch at the top of the gill is normal? any ideas on what to do? (there is also aquarium salts in the tank)

ill try and post a pic of it it is kind of goey and stringy bits come off it as he swims and its quite thick erm it kind of looks like runny boiled eggs if that makes sense

thanx for the quick reply

What symptoms did your fish have that died? Does this fish have any lumpiness on its body, or just the pineconing? Is the "runny egg" stuff clear or white? A picture would really help.

Becky

If it's anchorworm you will normally see them hanging on for dear life - and they are unmistakable as anything but a worm. The end of the worm has a fork in it which is why I don't think this is what you are seeing.

Would you say they look like wounds that are weeping? These can be ulcers brought on by bacterial infection (often precipitated by parasites such as flukes).

Would you be able to give a bit more history?

How long have you had your fish?

Have you introduced any new fish/plants/anything recently?

the first fish was lying on his side he was kind of bent in the middle when he died hes belly turned gold it was a really quick death the white stuff on the fishes side has gone now i dont think it was an anchor worm ive seen them before one of his scales has fallen out and the area is all red the runny egg stuff was white there is no other lumpyness but the swelling has gone down a bit now

the wound isnt weeping its just really red ive had the fish for eight to nine months and ive had no new fish for months and i dont have any live plants

i am using a anti internal bacterial medicine the swelling has started to go down the tank has salt in it he didnt show any change in behaviour no floating or sitting on bottom and hes still eating the area where the scale come out is just very pink and the area where the scales were most raised has turned yellow (but so has his head) i dont know if that counts to anything?

the medicine is also helping the fish that used to sit on its nose

my didgital camera has broke but i have good news chalky is nearly back to origonal size and the area where the scale fell out is healing up its turned back to its origonal colour and he hasnt even had his second dose of medicine yet!

hes alot better today ive given him his second dose of medicine and he is back to normal size and his side has healed up really well i think he lost two or three scales but im relieved hes better my friend has had three exspensive 8" goldies die of dropsy i guess im lucky :exactly

chalky seems to have taken a turn for the worse he is sitting on the bottom and sometimes floating and i think he is lumpy i dont quite know what you mean by lumpy ive never seem a lumppy fish if that makes sense but he is a unusual shape i will work on a picture. the area where the scales fell out has become red lower down( it looks like their is a build up of that white stuff under the scales in patches)

Here is what I mean by lumpy. Something pushing up from inside the fish that makes its' side look "lumpy"and not its' usual shape

leftsidelump.jpg

This fish eventually had a white discharge from this lump (it's a cyst). It is a sporozoan infection and is extremly contagious. If your fish looks like this you need to isolate him and watch any fish he has been in the tank with closely.

Here is what it looked like after the white stuff drained out. Maybe like you said your fish looked, just kind of red and torn up.

andyslumpaugust.jpg

Thats why I asked for a picture, but did not want to suggest this early on. It is a grim diagnosis, there is no cure.

thats exactly what he was like he now has another one on his side and one under his chin(just before the gills). so does this mean the anti internal bacteria medicine wont work on him? and will he ever get better? hes been sitting on the bottom alot lately ive just got a bubble eye i dont want him to catch it but i have no spare oxygen pumps to put him in a tank by himself what should i do?

The white stuff that leaks from the cyst are spores of the parasite. If other fish eat them (and goldies are notorious gravel pickers) they will become infected also and grow their own lumps. Anti-bacterial food won't hurt, but probably is ineffective.

There is a chance your bubble eye is already infected since the lump has been draining. But, as long as he has not shown symptoms you never know. I would get the sick fish out of the tank as soon as you can.

Do you have two buckets or rubber-maid containers? Maybe you can just move him into clean water every day, like the bucket to bucket method of treatment.

The only other option I can offer you is euthanasia. All of my fish that got to the point I showed you in the picture evenutally had to be put down. I could never do it until they got really sick, but at some point you don't want them to suffer any longer and they will never get any better. Bottom sitting was a good sign the end was near.

I am so sorry this is happening to you, it is a horrible disease. :(

ive put chalky in a tank by himself and hes doin fine i was worried about him dieing without an air pump putting oxygen in the water but hes fine ive been putting salt in the water and changing it every day he has no more cysts they have all drained but they've come back before so im not risking it

i was wondering do you know how he caught it or what causes it it just come from out of the blue.

He could have been infected when you got him, just not showing symptoms. Otherwise he caught it from one of your fish. Perhaps the one that died?

I'm glad he is feeling ok for now.

hey chalkie is goin down hill hes stopped eating as a last effort ive got him some methlane blue but i have a big prob my bubble eye has given the other fish white spot and now there is a big chance they could all get what chalky has will i be able to use the methlane blue in my big tank or will it kill the bacteria in the under gravel plate i need a quick reply if poss. thanx

I am not familar with methlane blue. By white spot, do you mean ich? I think salt and heat is the preferred treatment for that. It is very safe and effective and will not affect the cycle.

You should start another thread about the ich since it is a different problem.

Sorry about Chalkie. :(

ive got good news chalkie has started swimming and eating again well he swims a little and then sits on the bottom for a while. i put the methylane blue in the tank any way as i didnt want them to cath what chalky has when the spots fall off! (yes i mean ich) and i also have no way of heating my tank up :D

im sad to say that chalky died this morning he must of had the same thing that the last fish had as he died the same way the yesterday he was lieing on his side and this morning he was dead like it :cry1 thanxs for your help everyone im just hoping it doesnt affect the other fish

Sorry about Chalkie :( I would not add any new fish to the tank he was in and assume all the other fish that were with him are carrying this same disease. If you don't see any more fish with the symptoms then perhaps you are safe.

Have you taken care of the ich?

Archived