Blue Koi?

Some fish maintain the light blue, but those normally aren't sankes/showas, so what you're probably seeing is sumi that has yet to come through. That blue area will likely eventually turn black.

You should take pictures every month so you can see how your fish developed. ^_^

Some koi ussaly have a light blue in there scales

i think it's like goldfish they kinda change colors

when they grow :rolleyes: but im not sure about this

im

not the best person when it coems to koi fish

but im learning im getting my second one next summer

o welll there pretty mutch like goldfish

... :D

Some koi, indeed, do have blue. But not the showa/sanke types (three color koi - red(orange)/black/white). That blue is a shadow of more black developing. Whether it will actually fully come out or not remains to be seen.

koi are actually very very different from goldfish. I never appreciated that until I got my three. Their behaviour (in a tank at least) is very different from my goldies, and their requirements are a lot more difficult to meet. But well worth the effort. ^_^

• 2 months later...

groucho,

If you've taken pictures of your fish you should post them :)

It is true that what you are seeing is more than likely going to be black (sumi). I was told that my blue koi would turn black, but alas she is still blue! I am proud of her. She did try to turn though, last spring she had gotten a lot of black spotting but withen a month into the summer the black was gone! Here is a picture of her. Even though she probably isn't worth much, she cannot be shown, she is my pride and joy. She was my first koi from Japan.

blue2.jpg

This second picture is a pearl shusui (I bought one of these last summer but don't have a good picture of it, mine is small and the hi (red) was just starting to show in the fall). You can see how nice the blue is on this one!

31e.jpg

Scott

Scott, Shusui is actually a very beautiful fish! I fell in love with them the moment I saw them at a place in Homestead, Fl. The owner had them imported from Japan, and they looked so different from all the other koi colors available. Although his Shusui were almost all blue, is that normal? Some sort of baby color, that changes later? Because the fish were rather small with around 5 inches....

Just wondering....

shusui get there red (hi) as they get bigger. I orderd two Japanese sushui this last summer, both are about 5 inches. They both have a little red on their sides but not much, it's hardly noticeable. One does have red pectoral fins. I am in hopes that the hi really starts showing up this summer. If this summer ever gets here! I agree, sushi are beautiful fish. They are my second favorite though, I like the asagi. I have been on a quest for an asagi but as of yet I haven't been able to get one. When I ordered my sushui I was supposed to get an asagi as well. The dealer sent me a kujaku instead, and not a very nice one at that. She told me it was an asagi. Asagi are NOT metallic, kujaku are, this fish is metallic blue with a funny looking orange/yellow head. There aren't any koi dealers on my area so I get what I can over the internet.

Scott

Scott, did you try Blackwater Creek or Nishigikoi? They have excellent koi , and the fact that blackwater Creek is only 45 min from me, doesn't help either! :lol

I hardly know my way around koi names, the only thing I am familiar with are Kohaku, Sanke, Showa and Shusi. Its easiest to learn if you have them at home, aside from the regular "beginners mutts".

When I went to the Miami show this weekend, there were chocolate (mahagony) colored butterfly koi there, about 5-6 inches, with shiny scales. Do they have a particular name as well? Their coloration looked so intense and deep, I would have taken one if I had the space... :wub:

I have been on a tight budget, so that is why I've not bought koi from places like that. (I know you get what you pay for :( ) The thing is, I wish I'd have just done that to begin with. I got some beautiful Sushui though, I don't think I could have gotten better that size and for the price. The problem was, I ordered 7 fish in all, one of course was supposed to be an asagi. 3 of the fish died withen the first month (one the first day). They had KHV, the dealer didn't quarantine the fish before she sent or before she advertised them! She only had them for two days before she sent them on to me. I was FURIOUS. Of course, thankful though that I knew to quarantine before putting them into the pond. I was lucky that four survived, thanks to a lot of help from Bonnie who runs bonniesplants.com she really helped me a lot. It was up and down with these guys for four months. And no, the dealer didn't make good on the money back guarantee.

Thus, if I'd have ordered from Blackwater or Nishigikoi I would have been a lot happier. But I learned a lesson which was important, and I learned more about taking care of sick fish which is the most valueable lesson.

When I went to the Miami show this weekend, there were chocolate (mahagony) colored butterfly koi there, about 5-6 inches, with shiny scales. Do they have a particular name as well?

That would be chagoi, I think. Were the scales just shiny or sparkly? Shiny would mean they are metallic, and then I would suppose (not sure) they are kujaku. If they sparkle then they are gin rin chagoi.

Scott

Gosh, it doesn't get any easier, does it? :lol: I think they were sparkling scales, so that would make them Chagoi.

Bonnie is great, I got some nice plants as well as koi clay from her over time, and I recommend her to anybody who wants a helpful and great service aside from their products!

KHV, thats horrible! I didn't know you can even treat for that virus!

Andrea,

My guess on the fish would be "longfin ginrin chagoi". They tend too grow very large and are noted for being very friendly with their keepers.

Scott,

Are you positive they had KHV. This is a very serious virus that has disrupted the sales of koi in the last few months. I have heard of a US koi farms that tested positive and the government destroyed the entire population. I am not sure if that is true so maybe someone can help too confirm it or deny it . If the koi were straight in from japan I would doubt it carried KHV since as of now they have never found it in japanese KOI. Although that does not account for what they go through when they get here. It was determined that it showed up in some magoi, which they use for food fish and it shut down all of the major japanese shows this year.

It all shows the importance of a proper QT tank.

It all shows the importance of a proper QT tank.

Amen to that! Even more so, since koi keeper tend to invest so much more in their fish than goldie keepers usually do, quality koi being much more expensive.

Is the last fish metallic? It sort of looks like it is from the picture. If so it's kujaku as well.

Rob,

The lady I got my koi from orders koi from Japan and Israel. Two of the koi I had gotten from her were from Israel the other's were from Japan (yeah I didn't include this importan factor but the two from Israel died along with one of the Japanese). She just throws them all in a tank together when she gets them. Horrible practice huh? Anyhow I learned my leason. She told me that they had KHV after her's were tested she lost a bunch of her fish as well. I didn't realize that she didn't QT her fish until after the fact. She of course appologized to me and stated that she had never had any problems before. She never refunded my money, even though she was supposed to. BTW, she also sales fish on ebay so if anyone is thinking of bidding, be careful!

Scott

KHV, thats horrible! I didn't know you can even treat for that virus!

If you catch KHV soon enough you can. You have to raise the temp to 86 degrees (of course no too fast) and leave it there. I left mine there for 10 days then let it lower itself down to I think it went to 75. I also raised the salt as well. These fish are now in my pond and everyone is happy (well at the moment cold and happy).

Then after this I had other problems happen with these fish. It was horrible! Two of the living had gotten big ulcers on their sides. Bonnie was SO awesome in helping me. She suggested I take the fish out and put hydrogen peroxide on the ulcers. They cleared up withen a could of days, amazing.

I had never had koi die on me like this so it wasn't a pleasant experience (never is I am sure). I had never even had sick koi before, so I was at a loss. I always make sure the water is good, feeding properly etc...

no, not all are kujaku.

This yellow koi is a Yamabuki ogon and is metallic.

scottkoi3.jpg

Here is a doitsu Yamabuki ogon, which is also metallic.

scottkoi4.jpg

I bought both of these Koi when they were maybe 2 or 3 inches long. They are both over 9 inches long now and beautiful fish! The pictures aren't too great, I need to buy one of those pale blue tubs to take pictures of my koi with.

I think we should start a thread on different types of koi. That would be fun?

Scott

i like your kois

i bet they must off change colour many times

since you got your so small

mine has changed drammatically

in my first pic, that koi was originally white all over

now he has yellow, blue black and white

its so weird

but i like my second koi

she has that orange colour on her head

what a lovely contrast :rolleyes:

Archived