White Spots On 2 Orandas

Guest GriffinFish

Guest GriffinFish

Dear fish experts

I wonder if some kind soul can help me with my poorly Orandas Futo (white) and Maki (orange). I have only had them for 6 days and they seem to have developed small white flecks all over their fins, bodies and wens.

The tank has been set up for about a month, it's inhabitant Toshio seemed to stop eating and wasted away :( He had no signs of obvious desease. A week later I purchased these two Orandas from a reputable aquarium. I replaced 20% of the water and vacumed the bottom. I also added 2kg (4.4 pounds) of marble chips. I noticed a couple of days after the fish were added to the tank that there were a few specs on their fins. Now this morning it seems to have spread all over their bodies!

You can see pictures here

Sorry for the quality of the pictures you can just about make out the spots if you zoom in.

Here are as many answers as I can provide at present to the list above...

Test Results for the Following:

Ammonia Level? I'm afraid I do not have an ammonia test kit, will purchase one.

Nitrite Level? OK

Nitrate level? 50 (yikes!) I have 10 litres (quarter of a gallon nearly 20% of the tank) of tap water which I am waiting to add in 24 hours.

Ph Level, (If possible,KH and GH and chloramines)? Ph=7.4 KH=8 GH=>21 (the water here in brussels, belgium, is ridiculously high, it's off the scale on my test kit!) All these figures have been consistent on the three tests I have done over the last few weeks.

Ph Level out of the Tap? have not tested

Tank size (How many Gals) and How long has it been running? 60 liters (15.85 gallons) it has been running about 6/7 weeks.

What is the name and size of the filter/s? Atman powerhead 2.5W Hmax:0.5m Qmax:230l/h It seems quite small and sits in the tank. The water passes through some filter carbon.

How often do you change the water and how much? 10% once a week

How many fish in the tank and their size? 2 both about 3.5 inches from nose to tail tip.

What kind of water additives or conditioners? Procell water conditioner

Any medications added to the tank? No

Add any new fish to the tank? They are both new there are no other fish.

What do you feed your fish? Pellets, I soak them for about 1 minute then they seem to sink to the bottom. I add 8 daily in the morning.

Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt", bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? They seem to be covered in "grains of salt", their tails seem to be more frayed than a week ago.

Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, ect..? No they seem relatively active. Their dorsal fins seem to be tucked into their bodies quite often though.

Additional information.

I have a white florencent light which I turn on daily for about 10 hours.

The tank is right next to a my stereo speaker - I sometimes worry that this may cause them stress.

My WiFi box is near the tank too, maybe the radio waves affect fish?

The tank temperature is 23 degrees C (73.4 degrees F) I do have a heater I can add if necessary.

I hope this is enough information to help.

Many thanks in advance!

Bill

Hi Bill & :welcome hope ur gona enjoy ur stay :D

I'm relatively inexperienced but can confidently say that ur fish got Ich. I've got no experience in treating ich but from what i've gather from other members that the disease is easily curable with aquarium salt. Other experienced member will hopefully come and elaborate on the procedure.

I just wanna say that it seems like ur tank is 50 litre in volume which is about 13-14 gals or so. I gather also ur fish are both 3.5 inches long which means they're not juveniles anymore. I'm afraid to say that the tank is not big enough for them to grow to their full size and gonna pose you water quality problems. It's recommended that u have 10 gal per fancy goldfish.

Is the tank cycled btw?

And also If u already added the water conditioner, u dont have to wait 24 hours before putting it in. Water conditioners work almost instantly.

Now hopefully some of the more experienced members will come & guide u thru the Ich thing.

Good luck mate ;)

PS: Tank near stereo system? Nuh-uh bad thing, fish will be stressed as heck. Keep ur tank away from any loud noise sources ;) . Also ur tank temperature is just right. Add the heater if the temperature is dropping in winter (no less than 10 degree C).

Ur fish are very beautiful :heart . maybe u wanna post them up the "photos" section after they're cured

Guest GriffinFish

g'day d_golem

many thanks for your useful tips and kind words :)

to address your points.

ur fish got Ich. I've got no experience in treating ich but from what i've gather from other members that the disease is easily curable with aquarium salt. Other experienced member will hopefully come and elaborate on the procedure.

That's a relief to hear it is curable. I will research into Ich. Any eloboration by those with experience with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

I just wanna say that it seems like ur tank is 50 litre in volume which is about 13-14 gals or so. I gather also ur fish are both 3.5 inches long which means they're not juveniles anymore. I'm afraid to say that the tank is not big enough for them to grow to their full size and gonna pose you water quality problems. It's recommended that u have 10 gal per fancy goldfish.

Oh no... actually the tank is 60 litres but it seems still to be a bit small. I did not mean to buy such big fish but fell in love with these in the store - in hindsight maybe I should have settled for a couple of smaller less fancy fish. They do not appear to be juveniles as their wens seem quite well established.

Is the tank cycled btw?

I'm not fully sure what that means. I recall it is something about allowing the nitrate levels to rise and fall until the bacteria is at a steady level. I hope I have done this correctly. Yoshi (R.I.P) was supposed to be the hardy fish that was kicking this off. Maybe I did not do this correctly - I will research into this further too. Again any handy hints would be greatly appreciated.

And also If u already added the water conditioner, u dont have to wait 24 hours before putting it in. Water conditioners work almost instantly.

Aha, cool, in that case I'll vacume the bottom and add this water now. I'm worried that the nitrate level is a bit high at 50. I read that 40 was about the max fish could comfortably endure.

Tank near stereo system? Nuh-uh bad thing, fish will be stressed as heck. Keep ur tank away from any loud noise sources wink.gif . Also ur tank temperature is just right. Add the heater if the temperature is dropping in winter (no less than 10 degree C).

Glad to hear the temp is ok, I thought it was. Glad I mentioned the speaker. I have now moved it.

Ur fish are very beautiful heartpump.gif . maybe u wanna post them up the "photos" section after they're cured

Thanks you so much - I must admit I am completely smitten with this type of fish. I guess I must start saving for a larger tank. I'll be very proud to add them to the gallery as soon as they are presentable :)

Guest GriffinFish

I read a great ich thread in this forum. When they refer to salt is that just regular salt? I assume so but thought I should double check with a pro. I have some nice organic sea salt I can put in.

If I understand correctly I should add 30 level teaspoons for ten gallons.

So for my tank

60 litres = 15.8 gallons

So I should add 47.4 level teaspoons. It seems alot!

Hi griffinfish and welcome to kokos :)

I am no expert but I'm gonna try to help a bit with your ich problem.I have successfully treated ich a couple of times with the help of all the experts here.Since you have a 60 liter tank,it would be much easier for me since we use liters too.First off,yes you can use sea salt and you have to salt to 0.3%.Add 60 grams of salt which will bring you to 0.1% salinity.After 12 hours,add another 60 grams which will bring you to 0.2%,after another 12 hours,repeat which will bring you to 0.3%.Make sure to dissolve the salt with a bit of tank water first before adding to your tank.I would also suggest daily gravel vacs and 50% water change to get rid of as much ich in the water.You could also raise the temp to 26*C to shorten the ich's life span.Maintain 0.3% salinity for 10 days from the day the last ich has dropped off just to make sure there are no more ich left :) Hope that helped a bit... :)

Guest GriffinFish

hi coyote ugly

wonderful many thanks. i have added the first third of the salt - there was a very tiny crab saltified in there, maki happily ate it up :) that's how organic this stuff is!

i also found this thread which helped a lot. the following information from toothless really helped too.

To treat ich with salt:

You must first raise the salinity to 0.3% (zero point three). This should be done over the course of 36-48 hours. To do this, multiply your tanks total gallons by 2.5.

----------------------------------

Example: 10 gallon tank - 10 (gal) X's 2.5 (tsp) = 25 teaspoons

So, a ten gallon tank needs 25 level teaspoons to reach 0.3%.

----------------------------------

To bring the salinity up over the course of 36-48 hours, the total amount of salt needs to be split into 3 equal amounts and bagged up into 3 separate baggies. Each baggie of salt needs to be added (pre-dissolved in a jug of tankwater) to the tank every 12 hours or so until the last baggie has been added. Once the desired salinity has been reached, you only need to add 2 1/2 level teaspoons to each gallon of water you add to the tank. Thats it, no more. It is important to remember that salt cannot be filtered out nor can it evaporate. So, calculations and meaurements need to be precise. And again, ONLY add salt back to the water you are going to pour into the tank during waterchanges.

Ok, now that the 0.3% salinity has been reached, we need to concentrate on raising the heat to 80-82 degrees. This must be done slowly as well. No more than 2-3 degrees per 8 hours. Once the correct temp has been attained, maintin heat and salinity until its has been 7-10 days since the last ime you saw ANY ich spots whatsoever.

A few helpful hints:

---Salt dips can and will speed up the eradication of ich. If your fish is covered with ich and still active and/or eats, it will benefit from a series of salt dips at the beginning of the treatment. Check out the salt dip tips in "salt and his many uses" sticky in this treatment forum.

---Gravel vacs will greatly reduce the numbers of free-swimming ich before they can attach to your fish. Perform them daily.

---If you have on or can get one, The Aqua-Clear power heads with quickfilter attachment will filter out free swimming ich. The 1 micron sleeve that goes in the quickfilter attachment is perfect for this. Or, if you have an extra powerhead, you could try going the DIY route and setting up one of these: DIY micron water polisher

---increasing aeration during almost ANY treatment is always a plus.

---Be persistant. Salt can and will kill ich, give it time to do so and you will not be disappointed.

wish me luck

all the best

bill

Archived