Fish Acting Bizarrely

bellabombshella

oh dear..

i don't have many details from the above list..

so i will best try to explain my situation.

at the moment i have one little goldfish in a standard round fishbowl (6L approx) with a bubbler. i change the tank about once every 3 weeks - or if it's looking dirty - and use both a water conditioner for the water, and save some of the older water as well.

the other week i found a different (there were 2) goldfish dead on the floor, because he leaped out while i was sleeping :/

but last week i noticed very strange behaviour in my fish. he sits at the bottom of the tank and hides between a plastic plant and a decoration, until he sees me.. and then he darts back and forth at an immense speed... infront of me.. or when i go to feed him.. he darts so quickly i think he's going to leap right out of the tank..

and then he goes back to moping on the bottom for hours on end..

at first i thought this could be dropsy, but he isn't bloated or swollen, and he CAN move very quickly.

he doesn't breathe heavily, and doesn't gasp at the surface..

but i will catch him spasticly darting around the tank, and then he'll just go back to normal..

i did save him from a wedding (table decorations) and i'm pretty sure he sat in some miserable conditions for a few hours.. (ie, overnight on the tables..).. so i didn't think he was the healthiest when i got him, but this is just bizarre.

also, the fish that lept out was his buddy. i know i know! this sounds insane.. but these two NEVER left each others side.. not even when i cleaned the tank. they'd feed together, swim together.. constantly side by side. it was actually creepy, and my friends would even point it out..

so..

is it sickness, or maybe depression, or is it just a crazy fish?

Bella, your fish isn't crazy or depressed but it probably is sick.

I'm sorry, please don't take me as rude, but 6 litres is just too small for even one goldfish. If I understand you correctly there were once 3 goldfish in this bowl? The reason the other 2 fish jumped is that the water was toxic and they were trying to escape. Or, the bowl is too small for swimming and they miscalculated.

There is a lot of information on this site that explains how to care for goldfish. When you 'back' click to the forum, on the left hand side is a list of articles. Try reading 'Goldfish Care' and 'Ten Steps to Healthy Goldfish'. Good luck.

aw i don't think you are rude at all. thanks for replying!

but i don't know what i was thinking! it's actually 3.4gallons.. sorry about that..

there was only ever 2 goldfish.. but i feel horrible now :/

i did have one fish live in my fishtank for 2 and a half years, and he eventually got fin rot and dyed.

that was the best goldfish ever.

Don't feel horrible bella, I used to keep 2 goldfish in a 2.5g tank so I've been there too.

I think you're best bet would be a larger tank but in the meantime you could try changing 100% of his water everyday. Make sure the new water is temperture matched and that you use water conditioner/dechlorinator.

I suggest doing this for a week and see if he improves. It probably would be easier to remove the gravel while you are doing daily changes.

Archived