Goldfish Looks Pregnant

Newfishmom

Hi..I have a new goldfish - I have had the tank for about 40 days (and fishie) - I am fine as far as water parameters go..everything seems great - in fact, the fish (in six gallon Eclipse) has even grown a little! She/He is active, has a cute personality, eats well, poop checks out ok (per Koko's poop guidelines) - all looks well - BUT, here is the thing - this little goldie (not more than an inch long - when I got her she was smaller) - has a HUGE tummy - it is crazy. If I didn't know better I would think she was pregnant! I have read a lot on Koko's site, and from all I've learned, this fish does not look or act sick - any ideas as to what the deal is with this little guy's tummy...???

Hi newfishmom,

May i know what type of goldie is he/she? and how big is the tank?

I don't think pregnancy is the cause (cos ur fish is still too small/young) but it might be dropsy (i really hope not!)

as the tank is onlya 6gal, would say it is a little too small to hold a fancy goldie as they need 10gals each, and commons/ comets need 15.

i guess it depends on how old your fish is, but it could be pregnancy or again, it coul be dropsy.

do the scales look 'pineconed' at all?

Guest FishLikeSequins

Could it be a pearlscale? I saw them at my lfs at once and they were so cute and round, like little ping pong balls.

Hi Newfishmom, and :welcome !

I have seen it in very small fish - they eat their little hearts out, and an hour later they look like they swallowed a water melon! :lol: In fact, I had 2 in a 20 gl tank just like that - very small baby ryukin, maybe an inch in size, plus tail. Since I feed the smaller ones about 3 times a day, they got quite a nice amount of food during the course of a day.

How many times, and how much are you feeding your fish?

Everyone, my fishie is a fantail, and I have really read a lot on Koko's site, and my instinct says no dropsy - she/he is young - and really seems to be doing wonderful - the fishie is really really active, too - her little fins are fine and no awkward swimming..I am going to try and get my husband to take a picture...

Archived