Fish Hanging Out In Bottom Corner

Guest banahud

Guest banahud

First I want to say that you all are great for helping me through my ignorance.

!0 gallon tank, one fish, still cycling, no meds added, aquarium salt added recently 2 tablespoons, baking powder over the last few days to bring pH up to 7.6, Ammonia .5, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5ish

Recenyly lost a fish (who was weakend from previous problems) most likely to pH crash-

The other guy has no visible physical signs of disease- althoug he does have a black spot on him most likely an ammonia burn (has had it almost a week now).

Since his buddy got very sick on Tuesday he had been hiding- his buddy passed that night and since then he has 95% of the time been hanging out in the bottom corner of the tank- At first I thought he might be depressed but now I am concerned- he would not eat this morning- Any ideas?

Guest banahud

Ok I will try and bump this to maybe get a response- Someone did post a similar question after I posted this and got responses to salt the tank- I have continued doing this- How long should it take for my little guy to return to normal if it is parasites?

Hi Banahud, I just replied to your previous post about cycling and I think that is the answer to your problem right now.

If your ammonia is constantly over 2 it will make your fish sick. I suggest doing as many water changes as possible to keep your ammonia at zero. Even do 50% water changes daily.

There are products on the market that detoxify ammonia. They make it harmless to fish although the ammonia is still there and will register on your test results. Perhaps you could get one of these, imo the best is Prime and Ammo-lock. These are also water conditioners that remove chlorine/chloramine, etc from tap water.

What makes you think your fish has parasites? If it does have parasites they won't go away by themselves, the water needs to be medicated.

Guest banahud

I do use ammo lock already- I thought parasites based on a post by someone else wbout their fish hanging out on the bottom and someone suggested parasites- I am doing 50% changes every day.

When you do a water change try using enough ammonia lock to dose the whole 10g. It will stay active for 24hrs and detoxify any ammonia that builds up during that time frame.

If you fish is still eating and not spitting out it's food I don't think it is parasites. See how it goes with zero ammonia/nitrIte and if it doesn't improve we can suggest medication.

Guest banahud

Actually he has not eaten since Tuesday as far as I know- I have been putting a flake in every day and he doesn't respond at all- He used to come right up when there was food.

Sorry that I misunderstood. If he is not eating at all it could be parasites.

At this point I would consider using a parasite medication in the water. Such as Quick Cure or Jungle Parasite Clear. If these are not available your petstore should be able to advise an alternative.

As your tank is not fully cycled at the moment I suggest treating your fish in a container of fresh water. You can use rubber maid or plastic storage containers, try to aim for one that is at least 10g in size. You could also strip back your tank and use it for treatment. That would involve removing the gravel and filter and using fresh water.

While treating your fish it is recommended to do daily 50% water changes and siphon up any poops on the bottom.

Archived