Spiraling Comet

Guest Rookiefish

Guest Rookiefish

Help! My daughters comet is suddenly unable to swim straight. He spirals left, and swims upside down also. He can stay upright if he braces against something. This was very sudden onset (12hrs). We have had him for 9 months with no problems. Although I realize I've been lucky based on the information I gathered here in just the last 1/2 hour. I don't have any testing equipment, we have him in a simple "kid set up" 2.5 gallons (I'm feeling guilty already) and he eats the basic flakes. I'm actually a Vet Tech, and I feel terrible I didn't realize his needs. Is there anything I can do until I can get a test kit? I did a 30 % water change this am.

Hi there and :welcome

Perform another water change ASAP. Make well and sure to use dechlorinated, temperature matched water. 50% now and then 50% within 12 hours.

Ok, off the top, I think you are beginning to see the need for test kits. A much larger tank would be great but that can be worked on. For now, I think it would be wise to invest in a set of dropper style test kits. You'll need ammonia, nitrIte, nitrAte and pH.

Can you get yourself a printed copy of your local water supplies chemical analysis? You can get it for free, by law, upon request. You might even be able to find it online. In the very least, we need to know what the KH of your tapwater is so, if you can, get a test kit for that as well. It migh be a good idea to get yourslf the test strips (diptests) fo the first round though. They always have a KH section on them.

Do you think it was possible that your daughter put somehting in the fishtank? Kids are kds and they can do some strange things sometimes. My reason for saying this is the spiraling and not being able to hold itslf right is a sure sign of poisoning. Especially if it happened all of a sudden...... :unsure:

Post back soon.

Paul

Guest Rookiefish

:crp I guess I can't rule out something in the tank, but it's not like her. She cries if she puts too much food in because I told her it could make him sick.

As for the water, I can get a kit in the morning. We have well water, so an analysis is a little harder. I'm worried about him eating. I used a net to enclose him so I could make she he was able to eat, but his balance makes it hard. I ended up maneuvering the food so it was directly in front of him and he did eat it.

Well water, huh? Bring a sample of your well water, straight from the tap, to your local fish shop to be tested for KH (alkalinity) , if you cannot find the dip tests for it.

I eagerly await your next post. :)

Paul

While you are out pick up some aquarium salt or all natural sea salt. And if you can afford it, at least a 10 gallon tank. Salt is a natural, harmless medication. It helps ease stress, and promote their healing. However, you have to use salts like aquarium or sea salt. There's a list of whats good on this site. Since you use flakes, I also suggest looking in our food section. You can add to your fishes diet and make it a little more stable by just ordinary regular food that you normally will keep on hand. Like bananas. But you need you remember how their mouth is, and cut it up small enough. And welcome to koko's fishy site. After your water is under control, we can add the salt. The dose is 1teaspoon per gallon of water.

Archived