River Rock

I'm changing my gravel to larger river rocks (I'm hoping to find something around 3/4 inch or larger) but haven't had much luck. I live in Michigan and every place I've looked (Home Depot, Target, nnnnnn) doesn't have landscaping rocks anymore cuz of the season. I found some great rocks at Michael's but it said not safe for aquariums. Anything at vvvv jsut seems too small (don't want my fish to choke on smaller/medium sized rocks).

Any one have any other suggestions?

I wonder what the rocks at Michaels are that make them unsafe????

As far as finding rocks, I have had luck at mmm - they have larger bags of tumbled stones of the size you are looking for. JoAnn Fabrics carries a good supply of tumbled stones for floral arrangements, HobbyLobby, if you have one, might have what you want.

How about a landscaping company? They often sell by the pound - you could pick out what you liked and buy a pound or two. Mine sells most stone for about 3 cents a pound.

Do not give up yet - it is out there! :)

• 6 years later...

Sorry to rise a post from the dead but what is all this ww, mmm, and nnnnn? I want river rocks and want to know what stores these members are speaking of.

Those were from the days where Petco, Petsmart, etc. are unmentionables, so when someone types in one of those, it gets replaced. I don't remember which is which, but you get the idea...chain stores.

• Admin

Its cause at that time we had people saying some mean stuff so certain stores where censored. Since most of use know how to control our selfs those stores are blocked now. Thats why you can say it :thumb:

A lot of the craft stores have gravel that says "not for aquarium use" and I don't know why, it could just be whatever they coat them with to make them shiny? I've seen colored sand and shell parts that did not say it, the glass does not say it, and SOME bags of smallish gravel do not say it. Just read the packages, there's bound to be one out there somewhere that's safe :)

I got the river rocks from Petco . . . .

(It was kinda funny I was perusing the topics and noticed I started this and thought "Gosh, my memory is getting bad. I don't remember asking any questions about river rock . . ." No wonder, it was 7 years ago. And I still use them!!

Thanks guys :). I bought some from Michaels. Some polished, some not. I got them in a 50 gallon bucket with a power head soaking. I haven't been home in about 3 days and don't know when I will be (at the hospital with my son) but I'm hoping they'll be good to go when we get home.

Archived