My First Live Plant

vette427

Hello. I bought my first live plant yesterday and I got it at nnnnnn, but I dont even know what kind of plant it is. The employer didn't know what kind it was so he just scanned the cheapest plant tag. Does anyone know the name of this plant? thanks

post-2646-1128642395_thumb.jpg

:D

Hi I've got one of those but I'm not sure what it is, Its been in the tank for about eight months and doing well. Pretty hardy. It reminds of a house plant. Just have to clean it up a bit now and then. Watch it getting live plants is addictive

• 2 months later...

..just bumpin this up as i used to have one of those and i had no idea what it was! they are very hardy though, i managed to kill mine when i stupidly decided bioling water would disinfect them.. :blink:

it doesnt have a bulb.. it had a little circle of roots at the bottom i think..

Guest greenhands

I have had three of those in my tank that have lasted half a year(well, one recently became mushy and I threw it out). They seem to be very hardy plants, because my tank is not plant-friendly. They've even lasted a couple months with all their roots broken off. My fish don't nibble on them either.

I have no idea what they're called either! They came pre-packaged, but I never paid attention to the name. :idont

Guest greenhands

I picked up a large one today since it seems to do very well in my tank.

It's called Gold ribbon(Dracaena variegatus) and it's a bog plant, so it may last a year or so if you're lucky.

edit: After doing a go0gle search, it might also be called Lucky Bamboo... which I believe is the safe kind. Are they really the same thing?

• Admin

yep thats a bamboo plant and the LFS will sell it to you even though its not a true aquatic plant, unfortunately it will die on you, might take a few months but if the leaves are out of the water it will die..... There is a plant that looks almost like this and thats the onion plant now that one is great with goldfish and doesnt need as much light either.... :D

yep thats a bamboo plant and the LFS will sell it to you even though its not a true aquatic plant, unfortunately it will die on you, might take a few months but if the leaves are out of the water it will die..... There is a plant that looks almost like this and thats the onion plant now that one is great with goldfish and doesnt need as much light either.... :D

457871[/snapback]

koko, i thought that if the leaves were out of the water than the plant should be Ok and if they are submerged than the plant would die?

That first pic on the top is a Dracena(someone mentioned Bog plant) Most people keep them as houseplants for they are not a true aquarium plants.Depending on lights/temps/etc.,they may last in your tank for a while,but they will eventually rot,and could muck up your water.As long as you're aware of this,and you keep a good eye on it's condition-I guess it's okay.I personally do not use any plant that's not a true aquatic. That's just me though. :)

..oh :D mine lived for white a few months i think, about 5.. but i was the one who killed it so who knows how long it could have gone for.. i thought it was really great, algae grew all over the big leaves and the goldies used it as a plate to eat their algae! i dont think it grew at all though

U Guy know What...I have lucky bamboo..also..I hear alot of weird stuff from asian folk's..that if u can keep a lucky bamboo alive and ur goldfish alive..u will never go broke$$$ and live to a good life..No Worry in Life*wink*..hehe..

Archived