Are Ceramics Safe For Tanks?

Guest WoodenCoyote

Guest WoodenCoyote

I was in the store the other day looking at their array of plastic castles and fake caves. I found one I wanted, but it was $25 dollars! I could it myself for free.

So thinking of throwing some decorations of my own for my fish tank out of ceramics. But someone told me that its not good to put anything ceramic in a tank because it will make the fish sick. Is that true?

"Ceramic" is a wide category including all kinds of things that are not truly "ceramic". Probamatic decorations and the ilk would be ones that have lead incorporated into the clay or lead based paints. (there are a few other toxic inclusions in some mixes, too)

Anything you make - as long as you use the slip that is designed for "human eating utensils" and similar paints and stains, should be ok.

I dabbled in porcelain dolls and many years ago. So - what do you make besides drinking utensials and fish decor? Sounds interesting. I have often thought it would be pretty neat to create my own design of deco for the tank! :)

Guest JustJayde

I have a friend that makes wicked sculptures , I should beat her up and steal her stuff and send them out as christmas gifts to all of you fishie friends ;)

Guest WoodenCoyote
So - what do you make besides drinking utensials and fish decor? Sounds interesting.

408241[/snapback]

Teapots and chess sets, mostly. I did wall hangings of people's pets for a while too.

Archived