Dimilin Needed

Happy Oranda

One of my fish is infected by Anchor worm and lice for a stupid reason (maybe you can find my thread in the Treatment subforum). 'Toothless' in that forum suggested me not using the Anti Crustacean Parasite from Inpet which will eventually kill my fish. It proved very right as my fish stopped eating and started floating after dose.

He recommand that Dimilin is the best med to kill those nasty worms, anyone happens to know which UK website sells it? Or anyone from Birmgham can kindly tell me which shop does it.

Thanks a lot.

Hi Happy Oranda,

Is Dimilin the brand name or the med. Can't see any UK site that sell this. If it is the brand name then there may be other makes. I am almost next door to a well stocked LFS so can pop in and check for you.Had a quick look in your thread, hope your baby gets well soon. :)

Thank you very much, Siansy. :) I am sure if Dimilin is a brand mane. Here it is the direct quotation from 'Toothless':

"Unless you can get Dimilin (AKA: Anchors Away, dilfuron, diflubenzuron, micromite, vigilante) you will just ......"

I reckon Dimilin might be the active ingredient, just cannt find out where to sell.

Anyway thanks again for your kindly help.

Hi Happy Oranda,

Sorry to take so long. Can't find anything for parasites apart from the Interpret stuff and my LFS has a big range. Have you tried googling all those other names that toothy gave you to see if anything comes up for the uk.

I'm hoping you have got the problem sorted if not sorry I wasn't much help.

I really appreciate what you have done. Thank you!

I have goolged it online, but no result in UK domain could match it. And I have been to 6 lfs in 10 miles around my home. But they all said that 'Dimilin (AKA: Anchors Away, dilfuron, diflubenzuron, micromite, vigilante)' didnt mean anything to them. :( Forgive their ignorance.

I hope I still need it when I get it. My baby's situation has deteriorated. I am lucky that I am off today. I got up this morning and found him lying on the bottom. At first he lied on his back and then he tried to balanced himself which made him roll over and over again. Now he is lying on the side on the bottom breathing labouredly.

Last night I just suspected that there was still a little interal infection coz his appetite was not very good and spit out food he ate. Now it seems that I was right which I really dont want to be.

Hi Happy Oranda,

I do hope your fish makes it.

I got a bee in my bonnet about finding Dimilin. The active ingredient is Diflubenzuron. It is banned in fish care in the Uk , thats why we can't find it

DIMILIN: There is some suggestion that using a chitin inhibitor such as Dimilin will stop the juveniles developing as they moult their exoskeleton, most of the results have shown these compounds such as Lufenuron and Diflubenzuron to be entirely nontoxic to fish or other animals. This is an advantage over the OP's mentioned below because the OP's can be associated with unwanted neurological symptoms. Dimilin also offers "cure" of the crustacean parasites within 5 days in most cases. (dimilin) (availability)

The most common treatments against lice are organophosphates. Using three treatments over the estimated life cycle of the parasite usually eradicates lice. At typical summer pond temperatures of 20oC or higher, treatments at 10-day intervals will kill existing adults and juveniles as well as emerging juveniles. The down-side is that in the UK organophosphates are banned for use as fish disease treatments! They are still obtainable - but at a sky-high price!

I found it on an agricultural site. They use it for killing insects and it was ?104 !!

I found another site which has something else called paradex we can buy this. Might be worth asking Toothy if this is okay for fish but here is the site that sells it.

http://www.koicarp.org.uk/koi_health.htm.

Good luck

Sainsy, thanks a lot.

I am afraid I could not rescue him. He is half-dead now. Breathes once every 15-20 second and cannt move at all... :cry1

I will ask Toothy if paradex is safe to treat Anchor worm and lice. I might be too late for him :cry1 , but it will be useful to other members in UK with similiar problems.

Thanks again for your kindly help.

Archived