My Lfs Made Me Sick!

nichjake

I went to my LFS today with the idea of getting another fish and I was apalled! :madrant . They had a tank of fancy goldies that had about ten fish in it. Three of those fish had severe fin rot, one was dead,one looked like it had major swim bladder problems, all fish showed signs of having ich and to top it off there was a guppy in there with the goldies.

I asked the guy in the fish area if they were for sale or being held, they were for sale. I asked him if they were being treated, he said "for what?". I asked to talk to a manager. Once the manager arrived I told him and showed him the situation. I explained to him that these fish should not be sold, that they should be treated and set aside. He said that he didn't see anything wrong with them, that they were fine and healthy. :noway Their fins were nearly rotted off!!! The only thing he would do is take the dead one out and remove the guppy from the tank. In removing the guppy and putting it in with the other guppys, that tank is now probably going to get sick.

Of course I filed a formal complaint to the store manager that is above the guys I talked to but I have a feeling nothing will be done. Sorry about the long post guys but I just had to vent to someone that would understand my frustrations

Man, the nasty thing happens everywhere. I have been to a very big pet super market called P** at Home ( no adverse publicity ) in Biminham UK. In their dozens of tanks, not a single fish without white dots on. In fact, they just dont know that fish is alive creature, will get ill and needs a comfortable environment as we do.

By the way, in UK a new law has been carried out to ask people keep goldfish in proper size tanks. In my opionion, authorities should also legislate to force pet stores to keep their fish as healthy as they possibly can before they are sold.

I have the same trouble around here...the LFS is the 2 big chains that EVERYBODY knows and they are TERRIBLE at keeping healthy fish. Whenever I R E A L L Y feel the need (?) for a new fish & break down & go there. I always slap myself back to reality and don't buy cause the conditions are too bad!!

I am getting a 55 gal tank for Christmas & when I go to get fish I will drive way out of my way to get healthy fish!

It's a shame that the "Big Guys" don't wise up. They could have healthy tanks with a little effort!! :exactly

I know how u feel nichjake. Good for you u have the guts to speak up ;) . I know several LFS near me that has appalling conditions but if nobody in the LFS care, my complaints will always fall on deaf ears :unsure:

What made me the most angry is that all of the other tanks were perfect, it was just the goldfish tank. They had the most beautiful female bettas, they had sooo much color I would have thought they were boys with chopped off tails but they were too perfect. I probably would have bought one if the goldies weren't so bad but I just couldn't bring myself to buy one, its a matter of principle.

Bother, my post disappeared so I'll do it again. I've seen fish with tails like that, like a clean cut. At my lfs they were a new batch in and not for sale. They weren't there a couple of days later, I think they were put down.

You did the right thing to speak to the employees and file a complaint, I hate it when people deny the obvious and treat you like an idot.

Awww.....man, that just blows.? I would have hated to see that.? That is just too bad....poor little fishies....

407745[/snapback]

Here where I live, Maryland, a group of us got an LFS closed down some years back by the Humaine Society. We called and filed complaints for about a month, followed by calls to a local paper. Things really WERE that bad there.

If its REALLY that bad, consider it. They dont immediatly close them, but they DO send warnings and follow up. It might be hard to get them to make the inital visit, but keep up the calling, and get others you know to do the same if they feel the conditions also warrant it.

Calling PETA isnt a bad idea either if you have one in your area, but I'd do that as a last resort.

Archived