My Senior Project

RedCapMiggi

Okay guys, i really need a lot of help on this. In California, we have a "Senior Project" which is a project us 12th graders have to do to graduate high school.

I choose to do mine on breeding my Goldfish. I now need ALL the help i can get, or else i WILL NOT graduate from high school.

So first lets start off with what I have. I have One 5 inch black moor. One 5 inch Red Cap Oranda, and one 5 inch Ryukin.

They are in a 60 gallon tank with 4 filters adding up to 740 gallons per hour of filtration. It is a well established tank and has plants in it.

I feed them soaked flakes, hikari, and these goldfish "crumbles" that they seem to like...but i can not get them to eat gel food. They just wont eat it.

I am thinking i will get another fish in there...

oh yeah, there is no heater in it and i live in souther california so the water is around 68. but fluctuates a lot.

So now i need help. Tell me how. I've read things, but i need a good step by step, please help!

Guest yabbie

Go to your fish shop, buy blackworms or some other high protein food such as freeze-dried bloodworms and start feeding them that.

When they're looking nice and fat and you have some with breeding stars, do a 50% waterchange and throw a lot of floaty waterplants in there or a spawning mop from the fish shop, don't let the tank get too cool and see what happens. You should see some chasing at the very least. If you can coincide the waterchange and plants with a thunderstorm, that might work better.

Even if they fail to spawn you might still be able to write up some possible reasons they didn't spawn and still pass your project.

Please guys. I really need the help of the experts here. PLEASE!!

We can do this!

405508[/snapback]

You don't have to prove or disprove anything. Its not an experiment. You just have to do something that is part of a career.

Go to your fish shop, buy blackworms or some other high protein food such as freeze-dried bloodworms and start feeding them that.

When they're looking nice and fat and you have some with breeding stars, do a 50% waterchange and throw a lot of floaty waterplants in there or a spawning mop from the fish shop, don't let the tank get too cool and see what happens.  You should see some chasing at the very least.  If you can coincide the waterchange and plants with a thunderstorm, that might work better.

Even if they fail to spawn you might still be able to write up some possible reasons they didn't spawn and still pass your project.

406113[/snapback]

Okay cool. What about progold?

Guest yabbie

Brand names tend to be non-international... so I don't know. You'll need something high in protein.

You'll also need to net off part of your tank or have a cycled tank standing by ready to keep the fry from being eaten by mum and dad.

I don't think fish breeding is a very lucrative career... especially not when goldfish are so cheap. The cost of getting one tank to spawn and grow to saleable size is so much higher than the price of any fry that make it.

Guest yabbie

Seamonkeys.

You can buy brineshrimp eggs at your aquarium (or toyshop) and if you can get them to adulthood and breed them, you'll have a great business selling them back to aquariums.

Yeah, i guess i could. but i like the goldfish idea, because 1 ive always wanted to, 2, i like a good challenge.

so its going good. Right now i'm feeding them Frozen Blood Worms, Freeze Dried Blood Worms, Freeze dried Baby Shrimp, and i'm thinking about going to get some frozen krill.

Guest JustJayde

hah I remember those sea monkeys :) they were soooooooo tiny.

My brother bought kit after kit after kit and was hysterical when they all died.

He expected them to look like the cartoon add, hair... jewels...clothes.... little house.... kids.. the works. :rofl

It's no help to this thread but I had to mention it

RedCapMiggi, just out of curiosity, are you a Sophomore or a Junior this year? I (unfortunatly) have to do my Senior Project next year. Maybe I'll do mine on something goldfish related, too. Anyway, I was just curious.

RedCapMiggi, just out of curiosity, are you a Sophomore or a Junior this year? I (unfortunatly) have to do my Senior Project next year. Maybe I'll do mine on something goldfish related, too.  Anyway, I was just curious.

408457[/snapback]

I'm a senior. This is for this year.

nichejake, I'm from Indiana. And how are you 16 and a Senior!? Did you forget to change your profile, or something?

Archived