Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

He Jumped.

Oy, this fiesty betta just never learns. He didn't jump out his cup, but he kept trying! I've been using tinfoil moulded over the cup during waterchanges, and made a duct tape flap door for the top of his home just in case. But today I was doing a water change and he was in the cup in the bathroom with me and I kept hearing this "pop" noise while I was running water. I walked over to his cup and POP! again! The foil top jumped a little, and so did I!!! Naughty little Orchard...I want to find something with a real top...even the aluminum top is making me nervous. I was going to use the boiled water today, but there was a gross film of oil on the top, so I threw it out and washed the bucket. I used regular tap instead.

About 1am I went to the bathroom right before bed and it was so hot in there!!! My GOODNESS! I couldn't open the bathroom window since the alarms were already set, and I couldn't leave the door open because my cats would try to get to the mice in there. So I brought him into my room back to his original spot since it was a bit cooler. I turned on the 29 gal light with a pillow in front so he knew where he was, and then he just looked so much happier to be back. I ended up bringing the mice into my room also..I have like no room to walk anymore, too many tanks!! Theres a ten gallon for the mice for the week, and another ten gal being cycled for quarentining tropicals. Then there's the 10 gal with my two tetras, and the 29 gal being cycled for goldies, and a rubermaid that was going to be fora common, but both the filters broke x_X Anyways, it looks like his fin is healing a bit thismorning..I still think it has something to do with being back in my room. Oh..when I did a waterchange yesterday, I got all thise tiny air bubbles over everything and they are still there. uhmm why? lol

These are dissolved gases in the water being released and they form on the sides of the tank. If you let the water sit for a day or two before using it, this won't happen. It is a good idea to let water sit to release the gases. Also, stirring the water, aerating it or spraying it into the tank will help release them, too.

That explains it. Yesterday was the only time I hadn't let his water age overnight before changing. I felt I had already waited long enough with the boiled water experiment and it was better to do now than wait because there was some ammonia showing.

I'm sorry to hear about your betta Kissy! I had a little jumper once too, he somehow had gotten out of his tank and onto the carpet! :blink: He was fine though after a couple of days. Is Orchard's tail looking any better? Sounds like he is getting excellent care! :)

Thanks Mariposa :)

His tail started to shred a little bit while he was in the bathroom, but it looks like it started healing last night after I brought him back to my room. I really dunno if it will keep healing, but we'll see :) I'm decidin not to stress to much over this little guy. I love him dearly, but before if his tail was shredded in the morning I went to school trying not to cry all day. I think its maybe me realizing that this will take a long time, along with he acts fine and it usually heals before it starts up again. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it and I realized freaking out all day isn't going to help him in any way. Nonetheless, I still love my Orchard just the same, special needs and all.

It does take a while for fins to heal sometimes. :) I know how you feel though, I get upset anytime one of my little guys (bettas or goldfish) gets sick. I'm glad to hear that he looked better today!

Happy update!

Orchard's been doing very well and his tail fin is healing nicely, with no set backs! Still no bubblenest, but he seems as happy as can be :)

I must have spoke too soon...Orchard's top half of hist tail split all the way back to where it was before. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.

I love salt!! 2 days later and his fins are pretty much healed back to where they were before (about 1/2" of new growth!!) :) I have a feeling it will be like this for the rest of his life. This is okay tho, as long as he stays this happy and active.

Edited by Kissy