Sign in to follow this  
gchen

Fin Versus Body Growth

I'm reading Rik's Fancy Goldfish book, and he mentions that goldfish tend to devote their energy to fin or body growth, but not both. For instance, a fish in a small tank might not get much bigger in body size, but the fins can grow longer. I thought this was interesting. I know my white oranda (who used to be a red and white oranda) has gotten a little bigger in the last two years even though he shared a 5 gallon hex tank. However, from old photos, I can see that his fins have grown propotionally more. Now that he's in a 55-gallon tank, I wonder will he have a body growth spurt!

Any thoughts or stories from previous experiences?

I haven't got any experiences, but it does make sense what the book says. I'd rather have body growth first then the fin, though :D

Hmm... I haven't taken measurements of my fish recently, but I just realized that the white oranda has grown more than I thought. I remember when I got him in January 2004, he was 1.5" nose to anus and 2.5" including the tail. Now, he is 3" nose to anus and 5" including the tail! I think this is pretty good growth considering that he shared a 5-gallon hex tank with 1-3 other fish for most of the 1.75 years. By the way, I changed about 1/2 the water from the tank every week.

Have others experienced goldfish growth in very small tanks like mine?

By the way, are most goldfish measurements reported including the tail? Often the distinction is not specified, and I'm not sure how big the fish is. It makes a huge difference, of course!

I always mention "including tail" or "not including tail" when mentioning fish length.

i got a small tank, and one of my fantail grows at least 1.5 cm in a month ;)

I always mention "including tail" or "not including tail" when mentioning fish length.

i got a small tank, and one of my fantail grows at least 1.5 cm in a month  ;)

404938[/snapback]

So, is that 1.5 cm per month including tail? :)

Inclusion of the tail makes a difference in the rate of growth as well as the total length. My white oranda grew either 1.5" not including tail or 2.5 " including tail in 21 months. Average growth rate is not much better than 0.1" per month. :(

So, how big can a goldfish get in one year, starting from a baby, under ideal conditions?

I wonder how old my new Ranchu is... He's way bigger than my current fish, but maybe he's younger! :)

yep it's 1.5 cm including tail :D

I dunno how big can a goldie grow in one year, but to think that Bruce the giant oranda measured 12-13 inches long (including tail) when he was only 2 years old....*shiver*

From what I have studied, I think it is not that a goldfish won't grow at all in a small tank. There is no way to completely stop that. It is that it will not grow in a healthy normal way. It's internal organs can be compromised.

You can't miniturize something but comtaining it in a small space........only damage the growth.

Also I always thought that measurment was from the tip of the mouth to the beginning of the tail, because of the various tail lengths. That wat you are measuring the bulk of the body, not the flowing tail.

:blink: But that's just me :huh:

I have had some experience with that.

I have a black moor that has doubled his body size in length and depth over the 18mths I've had him. His body length is now approx 4" long and 2" deep.

His tail used to be medium length and about 1/2 as long as his body. He hasn't grown any bigger in the last 6mths (that I've noticed) but now his tail is as long as his body and his fins are long and elegant too.

I think a fish will devote it's energy to body growth first and once it has reached it's potential it's finnage will develope to their potential.

Edited by Fishmerised

I hear that! GN grew the same way Fishmerised described - he busted outta three tanks by the time his spurt slowed to "normal" rate - but in the last few months, look at what happened to his tail! His fins an tail doubled! The picture inthe siggy doesn't quite reflect it (As the tips are white) but you can get a good idea!

It makes a lot of sense that the body would develop first and then the finnage.

(I gotta get that book)!

Actually Graham, my moor looks very similar to the one in your avatar, similar proportions.

Guest JustJayde

wow that is something I didn't know! neat!

Well I notice my fishie gettin fatter but not longer LMAO

Interesting..I notice my oranda's fins longer than when I first got him. :) I don't think he's gotten any fatter though.

Edited by gollie23

My fish grew around 3" in a year (including tail) or 1.5" (not including tail). I always felt that the fins and body were growing pretty much together.

Although a fish I got from someone that had kept her in a 5 gallon tank with 5 other goldfish, grew pretty much only in fins and got fatter in her body. Not bigger.

My tank was a 20gallon, technically overstocked with three fish. Around 3" body two of them (shubunkins) and then a 2" bodied fantail.

By the way, are most goldfish measurements reported including the tail? Often the distinction is not specified, and I'm not sure how big the fish is. It makes a huge difference, of course!

404935[/snapback]

I've always wondered that myself. Desi is big, but HUGE including his tail! :D