I Don't Get It

balashark

help. i don't get it. people can take bettas home from the petstore and put them in the smallest plastic containers with nothing in them, and the bettas do alright. i get a 2.5 gallon w/ a whisper filter, heater, gravel, silk and live plants; and jen's isn't doing so hot.

the amonia is just now coming down (approx. 14 days), bplian's got burn spots. the nitrites are up to one, bplian's fins are getting a little ragged looking. i'm doing water changes with gravel vac every single day (or other day) with temp and ph matched dechlorinated and treated water. he's eating, but i'm being careful not to overfeed. he's swiming fine and very active.

am i doing something wrong?? before the water change i did last night, amonia was at .5, nitrite just over 1.0, ph at 7.1. what else can i do for him? when i do water changes now i'm adding the smallest amount of aq. salt (i know it helps tropicals w/ nitrite levels). would not having a filter be better? should i not change the water? jen said she had a betta in a peace lilly vase before and it never got the ragged fins or amonia burn.

sorry for the long post, and thanks for any suggestions in how to help jen's fishie.

Do you have another tropical tank?

Whats happening is the filter is cycling and other people dont seem to have problems because they dont have a filter so no need for cycling.

Instead of putting the filter straight in to the tank you could have run it in a main tank for 4 or 5 weeks for it to cycle there.

Alternatively you could have used old tank water and gravel for the betta, and some old filter fibre and again your filter wouldnt have such a time cycling.

As it is it will take roughly up to 6 weeks for your filter to get to 0 levels.

thanks so much sandy.

so if i pull the filter out and just have it run in my tropical for a month, then it should be good to go. i'll just have to keep an eye on my tropicals, make sure the levels don't jump in there. in the mean time just keep doing water changes for the little guy?

gosh i was getting so frustrated. i'm off to do my weeklys for my other tanks, so i think i'll move the filter. my tropical is more established than my goldie tank, so i'll put it in there. thanks again for the quick help.

[edit]

oh, i did use old water and old filter media, new gravel though. this is the last time i add a fish to an uncycled tank though :)

You can put the filter in the tropical tank to mature and just keep an eye on the levels.

For the betta just keep doing water changes to keep the levels at 0 and maybe add a bubbler on low to keep water movement.

will do, i'll pick up an air stone tomorrow; i've got a couple pumps sitting around here somewhere.

boy was i misinformed about this water stuff. i thought it was the entire aquarium that cycled and there was no way around it; and that the filter was just a way to keep everything stable and moving. now i know the filter has more to do w/ it.

well, i can't thank ya enough. koko's saved another fish. :) oh yea, i like your new avatar :)

Hi Bala! The whole tank is cycling but the filter colonises the good bacs - attracts them to the filter where they where is a huge source of nutrients, a large surface area, and good conditions for them to proliferate. They do the same on the planar surfaces in your tank! By growing them in the filter, you provide more good bacs to keep the water clean and a way to control the environment by having a movable "feast" clean up your water in another tank! So, you got it right - the whole tank cycles, the filter, too - and then you can take advantage of a "cycled" filter - one that has been living in a tank that has established good bacs! :D

thanks for the help all. i put this little filter in my tropical w/out rinsing it or anything, and the amonia jumped in my tropical! i mean, this is a big tank for such a little filter to have an affect on. anyways, my tropicals have never had anything over 0; so i took the little filter out.

i decided to just set this filter up in a bucket and run it, adding 'dirty' tank water when i do my partials, and feeding the filter. just cycle it like that til i can put it back in w/ my betta.

he seems to be doing much better now, his fins are healing nicely anyways.

thanks again for all the info and suggestions.

I'm glad the betta is doing well and surprised your tank had ammonia showing. When i ran both my tanks with new filters alongside old ones i didnt get any ammonia showing at all.

dntknw.gif

Guest yabbie

There's also something that we notice in Australia, is that some breeders use a lot of chemicals in their water to prevent diseases, which makes sense in terms of turning out more bettas in cramped conditions... but weakens the immune system of the bettas and results in bettas who are prone to fin rot or just never thrive.

Mostly we see it in imported bettas or petshop bettas. The breeders who breed fish for show (they have a lot of outcasts with minor faults that make great pets) know betta <- :)

Hunt around and find a good breeder for your next fish. Maybe you'll even be able to visit and see their set up.

yea, i would've liked to do that. i had no idea there were so many different kinds of bettas til i came here. jen just saw this one and fell in love w/ it, just a common pet store kind; but we like him :)

i was surpised too sandy. :unsure: of course, i tested water from right where the new filter was spitting out. and it was only a slight change on the color chart, but still. one of my sharks was swimming around it and and i was being rushed out the door to go away for the weekend, so i didn't want to take any chances. :) lol, over protective i guess :rolleyes:

Archived