Potting Aquarium Plants?

balashark

ok, i've got some swordtail plants (along w/ annachris, moneywort, myrio, and some huge leafed plant that the pet store sold mistakenly as swordtail) in my tropical aquarium. they're doing well but when i go to clean the gravel i'm always afraid of disrupting the root system.

i've seen a couple pics of people's tanks on here and they've got plants growing out of the little clay pots. i think that'd be a neat look in my aquarium, so i was wondering how i would go about doing that. obviously you don't put soil in there, but what do you use to hold the plant into the pot? is there anything else i'd need to do or can do to help the plants w/out harming my fish? and would any small clay pot work or should i get something specific.

thanks for the help.

:D Heya Justin. Actually,some people have used a potting soil for the bottom part,and then just covered it over with aquarium gravel or those polished little river rocks that you can get in a bag at nnnnnn for a buck.ALot of people also use just plain old gravel-which right now is what I do,and so far everythings been growing fine,and I haven't fed any fertilizer of any kind.You can also purchase a bag of the Flourite,etc...which is sold for planted tanks and use that.I tend to like the pots to disappear myself,and have used little glass container's intended for candles and such,and have been real happy with them.The choices are many! :D

Archived