Goldfish Fry

Guest stevespond

Guest stevespond

I have a new outdoor pond and waterfall. It is about 30 days new. I have placed 13 fish in it. Lately I have seen small wiggly things swimming around in the pond. I think that they are baby goldfish "fry"? They could be mosquitos for all I know. How do you tell the difference. They are all being sucked into the ponds skimmer as fast as they are born. Should I try to save some and if so why?

How often do you watch over your pond? I think you should have known if you would have baby fishes... I mean If you pay attention to the water regularly.. you might have seen some white cloudyness, and I would think you would see the eggs, but thats just my opinion. I would have to go with the larve idea, sorry. :unsure:

Oh and BTW :welcome :yay:

Edited by sollicitus_witness

It's possible that they are frys...My fish spawned in my tank and didn't even know until I saw the actual frys :) What color are they?If they are goldfish frys and you want to raise them,you may want to separate them otherwise the big fish will eat them...

How often do you watch over your pond? I think you should have known if you would have baby fishes... I mean If you pay attention to the water regularly.. you might have seen some white cloudyness, and I would think you would see the eggs, but thats just my opinion. I would have to go with the larve idea, sorry. :unsure:

Oh and BTW  :welcome   :yay:

404243[/snapback]

Actually, it would be very hard to see the goldfish eggs in a pond - they cling to plants and pond walls, and since they are mostly clear, its sheer luck if you would see any. Especially if the pond water is green - its hopeless to see anything in there. Same thing with spawning going on - it happens very early in the morning at a time when most people are still in bed, not sitting out there watching their ponds.

I had fry in my comet pond outside, and my hubby, who takes care of the outside koi and comet pond, only noticed it when the fish were already 1/2 inch big. And believe me, he is a regular fish watcher.

Steve, would you be able and take some pictures of the little wiggly things?

Btw, :welcome !

Fish fry look like very tiny fish............mosquito "fry" look like skinny things that swim in a wierd squiggling way that looks like cruking your index finger in a "come here" jester. Does that make any sense?

• 1 year later...