My Parameters,

I set this tank up on September 25th. Added water from a 10 gallon that I had going, the params of the 10 were ammonia 0 nitrite 0.1 and nitrate 5. I added the gravel from the 10, as well as some new gravel and the fake plants from the 10.

24 hours later I added my fish, they were too big for the 10! And 8 capfuls of cycle.

The new tank is a 44 gal pentagon tank.

I keep a daily log, so I'll spare you all the details and just highlight the important parts. The purpose of this is because I'm thinking maybe one of you will have an AHA moment and tell me where I've gone wrong, if I've gone wrong anywhere.

5 days later I had nitrite for the first time along with nitrate. So that puts us at September 30th. My nitrite was 0.1 and my nitrate 5. I did a 10% water change.

The next day my nitrites were a little less than 0.1 and I had barely any nitrates.

October second my nitrates are back up to 5 10% water change

They stayed the same until October 13th. My nitrites went up to 0.3 I did a 25% water change.

October 14th, nitrites 0.3, nitrates 7 gravel vaccum 25% water change

BY the WAY, I tested everyday and did water changes of usually 10-25% depending on the nitrites..........I'm just skipping through and highlighting the changes..........

On the 21st my nitites hit .5 and my nitrates were 9 I did a gravel vaccum because it was that time of week and a 25% water change.

Nitrites went back down to 0.3, until the 26th when they went back up to 0.5 and nitrates were 8 or 9 I did a 10% change that day.

Nitrites skipped up and down from 0.2 to 0.3 and nitrates remained 5 until November 3rd when they went back down to 0.1 and nitrates were 4-5ppm I gravel vaccummed and did a 40% change because that's how much dirty poo I took out! I added 8-9 capfuls of cycle

Now my nitrites are barely there, under 0.1 you can barely see a colour change on the tester, but my nitrates are under 5.....

Is this tank cycling or am I just crashing it or?????

If you've actually read this far, thank you I appreciate it LOL

Jessica

On the 21st my nitites hit .5 and my nitrates were 9 I did a gravel vaccum because it was that time of week and a 25% water change.

Nitrites went back down to 0.3, until the 26th when they went back up to 0.5 and nitrates were 8 or 9 I did a 10% change that day.

Nitrites skipped up and down from 0.2 to 0.3 and nitrates remained 5 until November 3rd when they went back down to 0.1 and nitrates were 4-5ppm I gravel vaccummed and did a 40% change because that's how much dirty poo I took out! I added 8-9 capfuls of cycle

It sounds like you had to do the last phase of the cycle over again. I think the reason the nitrite MAY have skipped was because you vacuumed the gravel.......it usually isnt recommended to vacuum the gravel until the nitrites are stable at zero. were you vacuuming on a regular basis? I made that same mistake when i was cycling my tank BTW. It will prolong the time it takes for the nitrites to reach zero.

Now my nitrites are barely there, under 0.1 you can barely see a colour change on the tester, but my nitrates are under 5.....

Is this tank cycling or am I just crashing it or?????

It sounds like the nitrites are about to level off at zero. If you still have nitrate readings then i think you should be fine. Try not to vacuum the gravel anymore until it has had time to stabilize and also dont rinse any filter media if it isnt necessary. (clogged) Hope that helped.

Thats what I was thinking too. Also how many fish did you add in there? Maybe you just overloaded the tank if it was more than one good sized goldfish. At any rate it sounds like youre getting close now. Also I have heard that Biospira is SO much better than Cycle. Proven to get nitrates in a matter of days and also cuts down on fishy stress. :)

Archived