Top-view & Side-view Ranchu

d_golem

Since my new ranchu is of "ok" standard for japanese top-view according to some ppl in this forum, i think i'd do a comparison with my side-view ranchu :D

My new black ranchu, Japanese Top-View

japanesetop-view.jpg

My red & white ranchu, Side-View

(the back was a lot more kinked the first time i got him, but it smoothed out and becomes fuller as it grows :D )

chineseside-view.jpg

Both beautifu fish!

I want them :)

and yes the black is japanese standard and the white and red would be western or chinese standard.

To the chinese and western world we would consider the black one to have to "long a back" but still a great tail tuck :)

To the japanese the white and red is too short and fat LOL

Either way...you got two lovely fish there, both diferent standards but both adorable!!!! I think your lucky to have one of both!

Im after a ranchu aswell....saw a real cute one where I got my oranda...I was soooooooooooooo tempted but i said NO NO NO as I believe in QT so....maybe it will be there when my oranda's qt is over, if so its meant to be, if not, then its not meant to be my fish...fate

Im after a ranchu aswell....saw a real cute one where I got my oranda...I was soooooooooooooo tempted but i said NO NO NO as I believe in QT so....maybe it will be there when my oranda's qt is over, if so its meant to be, if not, then its not meant to be my fish...fate

401960[/snapback]

Aww just pray the ranchu will still be there ;)

Same thing for me. When I picked my black ranchu from the store, I saw this PERFECT, very cute little gold ranchu that I'm sure will become a nice grown-up ranchu. But becoz I'm getting the black ranchu, I just said to myself ,"Ok, when in 2 weeks time the ranchu is still there, then it's fate and I'm gonna get him" :lol:

oh yeah must be fate!

I hope the little guy is still there.

yes demekin42 you are corect. the japanes prefer the longer back, but it still has to have the tail tuck

To the japanese they see it as viewing it to look like the Kobin coin

this coin is elongated, not round

so when looking at a ranchu from the top..above water. it should resemble this coin

It is very hard to describe in words without pics

thats the best I can do

yes demekin42 you are corect. the japanes prefer the longer back, but it still has to have the tail tuck

To the japanese they see it as viewing it to look like the Kobin coin

this coin is elongated, not round

so when looking at a ranchu from the top..above water. it should resemble this coin

It is very hard to describe in words without pics

thats the best I can do

402006[/snapback]

Suddenly LMF becomes a ranchu expert :yeah: that Fancy Goldfish book must be really something eh? :lol:

That is a very interesting topic, and two very good pictures for comparion, Golem!

With a top view ranchu, all that matters is how he looks from above. If you imagine a rectangle, and you would put that rectangle on a picture of a top view ranchu, that ranchu would have to fill out most of that rectangle. The more it fills out, the better it is. That means it has to have some chubby cheeks to do so. What is not so important is the depth of its belly, since that wouldnt' show up when viewed from above anyhow. Exsessive headgrowth on the other hand is not something you would want on a topview ranchu, since that headgrowth might bring him outside the rectangle box.

With the sideview ranchu, that belly depth would matter much more. It has to be at least 2/3 of a fishes length in order for a judge to consider it quality. Lets say a ranchu is 3 inches long without the tail, then the depth of the fish should be at least 2 inches (2/3 of the length). Excessive headgrowth wouldn't matter with a side view ranchu either.

I read through a ranchu breeder discussion board every now and then, and they show various pics of their fish as comparison. I gotta say - I look at them, and one looks just like the other, while those breeders see all those differences! Complicated stuff.... :krazy:

he was swimming by the way and thats why his tail looks funny. I dont think it spreads out very nice though like some of the other ranchus Ive seen.

ALso he is discolored a bit. i still dont know what is causing it, but all my goldfish have a yellowish tinge on them. :(

Gia, I played around a little bit with your ranchu picture, and drew a rectangular shape around its body.

When you look at it, he fills out quite a bit of that rectangle. His butt area is nice and square, and his sides are wonderfully just inside the rectangle. the only spots he would need just a bit more is his cheek area, and that is quite a problem area with the top view ranchu. All in all, your little guy fairs off quite well... :)

As a sideview ranchu, his tail tuck is okay, so is his back. The only area where it would a bit more filling up, would be the belly area, but that is something you can work on and "fixable" if you ever wonna show him. Something like a weird tail tuck would be a much bigger flaw, and impossible to fix. The belly area is "workable"... :lol:

post-6-1127847429_thumb.jpg

Wow lol! Show him? That would be a dream huh? I thought he was much worse off than he is I guess.

I got him from nooppee for 5 bucks so not expecting to hear anything good honestly! Thanks for your input!

So do I just need to "fatten him up" to fix that belly of his? I am so worried about over-feeding my guys as it is. He is certainly my little pride and joy, no matter how he compares to the ranchu standard!

Edit: Oh and by the way he is just a baby...maybe his cheeks will fill in when he gets more headgrowth? I have noticed that it has grown a bit since I had him. He has got to be only a few months old. I have only had him for about 2 months...My guess is that he is 4 or 5 months...maybe not even....

Oh yeah, headgrowth is one of the last things that'll come, but it will come if he has the genetics for it.

You don't really have to overfeed him, Gia - not good anyway. What I would do is just toss a few extra crumbs in his tank every now and then, or if you have the time, just give him 2-3 rather small meals of something easily digestable, instead of 1-2 bigger meals. Smaller meals are better anyway to keep him from having sbd issues later in life. Anything algae is great for that kind of purpose - spirulina flakes, green algae in the tank, veggie matters in your gel food.

I have a ton of stuff I feed my goldies. They are always getting something differnt. I alternate everything...

-goldfish flake

-tubifex worms

-color gel food (pumpkin, paprika, kale, and some other stuff...)

-veggie gel food (peas, green beans, lima beans, mustard greens)

-my own mix gel food. Contains almost anything you can feed a fish, lol. zucchini, peas, flakes, tubifex worms, barley, garlic, lima beans, and probably some other stuff in there.....

I feed about 2 or 3 small meals a day

Hubby freaked when he saw all the bags of gel food in the freezer. Lol he was like ok where is the people food gonna go?

I read through a ranchu breeder discussion board every now and then, and they show various pics of their fish as comparison. I gotta say - I look at them, and one looks just like the other, while those breeders see all those differences! Complicated stuff....  :krazy:

402196[/snapback]

I guess it takes years of training and seeing nothing except ranchus' top side every day :D

I can't see any difference when seeing all the photos of competition ranchu, all I can think of is,"What the heck is this East Ozeki West Ozeki Oya Nisai Tosai thingy?!? All I can see vividly superiorly coloured ranchus with very chubby cheeks and thick backbone that'll make my ranchu cower in shame" :lol:

Hi d_golem,

I took a pic of hubby's ranchu...can you tell if he's a top view or side view ranchu?Sorry for the green water!I will try to get a pic from above if I can. :D

btw,one of the ranchus died yesterday :(

stupid me....I forgot to attach the pic :huh:

115-1572_AUT.jpg

The other one died??? Do u know from what? Oh man.....so sorry....i really am.... :cry1 such beautiful ranchu...

Btw about the ranchu on your pic, yup definitely a top view ranchu. side view flaws ur ranchu have: tail not tucked, body too long, too slim, back curvature is not smooth.

viewed from the top none of the mentioned flaws will affect the judgement, except maybe the tail should be pointing up rather than horizontal.

so sorry again about the other ranchu...still can't believe it...

Thank you! Now I can say it's a top view ranchu without hesitating! :lol:

I don't really know why the other one died....there were no symptoms of illness and just found him sluggish and then died.It was all too sudden... :(

Archived