My New Japanese Ranchu From Hung Ming Pet Central

gchen

Two or three months ago, I made a trip to Hung Ming Pet Central in San Francisco China Town that blew me away! Thousands and thousands of high-quality goldfish big and small!

See video: http://dancescientist.com/Temp/05_15_goldf...d_koi_in_sf.wmv

Today, I finally finished setting up my 55-gallon fish tank and headed to Pet Central to bring some of these babies back. I was disappointed that the store appears to have shrunk a bit, and the selection of goldfish was about 1/3 of what it was last time. I was told that a new shipment of fish was due by next weekend. So, I had a tough decision on whether I should buy anything today. On the one hand, the selection was still way better than any other store in the bay area, and I drove an hour to get there. Then again, there might be better fish next week. After staring at all the tanks for more than an hour and thinking that I might just get a small fish, I plumped down $100 for one of the last two Japanese Ranchus they had in stock. Here's a picture. Think he's worth it? He was best goldfish at the store today.

th_187_ranchu.JPG

He's about twice as along and 10 times as massive as my two other fish I have in my tank, but they seem to be getting along fine.

I love Hung Ming, great ranchu you got there, did they say exactly what day they get shipments in? I'm thinking of getting a nice pearlie later. Ha, maybe we'll run into eachother, fish talk!

I love Hung Ming, great ranchu you got there, did they say exactly what day they get shipments in? I'm thinking of getting a nice pearlie later. Ha, maybe we'll run into eachother, fish talk!

401304[/snapback]

The guy behind the counter said a new shipment should arrive around Thursday. I tried asking the two guys manning the fish department, but they didn't seem to speak much English. :( I'm hoping to come early either Saturday or Sunday to avoid the traffic. I guess I should call in and confirm that the shipment has landed, since I'm coming a long way. Or, maybe, you can give me a report. :)

Well, if the mother-load lands, I'll make sure to get some more video clips to share with the forum.

That's a handsome ranchu you have there!  Are many of the fish at that sore $100?

401346[/snapback]

No, the Ranchu was the outlier in terms of price. Small fish were mostly around $3, medium-size fish $10-15, and large fish $30. They had a couple of orange orandas larger than my Ranchu priced at $30 (or, 4 for $100). I guess the Ranchus are worth more. They had another black Ranchu, which I could have added for a total price of $180. However, he had bad eye. I told the fish guy that I want a discount next week if I get another Ranchu from the new batch. He said that he's not sure that the fish will be of the same type. Oh well, I guess I feel better about my purchase if there are no Japanese Ranchus in the new shipment. If there are a lot of better ones, I might want to trade my guy in!

The guy behind the counter said a new shipment should arrive around Thursday. I tried asking the two guys manning the fish department, but they didn't seem to speak much English.  :( I'm hoping to come early either Saturday or Sunday to avoid the traffic. I guess I should call in and confirm that the shipment has landed, since I'm coming a long way. Or, maybe, you can give me a report. :)

Well, if the mother-load lands, I'll make sure to get some more video clips to share with the forum.

401370[/snapback]

Aw darn, I won't be here Thursday! Ah well, I hope you find another lovely out of the new shipment, maybe we'll bump into eachother some other day. About the pricing though, I could have sworn during the summer the giant 6-8 inchers were only $8.00...and the Moors and such of smaller size were $1-2.00, huh, that's funny. Oh well, those fish are well worth it. Good luck!

The guy behind the counter said a new shipment should arrive around Thursday. I tried asking the two guys manning the fish department, but they didn't seem to speak much English.? :( I'm hoping to come early either Saturday or Sunday to avoid the traffic. I guess I should call in and confirm that the shipment has landed, since I'm coming a long way. Or, maybe, you can give me a report. :)

401370[/snapback]

Aw darn, I won't be here Thursday! Ah well, I hope you find another lovely out of the new shipment, maybe we'll bump into eachother some other day. About the pricing though, I could have sworn during the summer the giant 6-8 inchers were only $8.00...and the Moors and such of smaller size were $1-2.00, huh, that's funny. Oh well, those fish are well worth it. Good luck!

401390[/snapback]

Why do you really need to be there on Thursday? It's not like all of the fish will be bought up within a couple of days!

Well done, indeed! That is a wonderful store with very nice quality fish. If I would find one even remotely that well stocked, I'd be in heaven! Orlando has a china town too, but so far I haven't found a fish store, only excellent chinese food! :lol:

HAve fun on your next trip!

401390[/snapback]

Tam the Little Black Moor, I just called Hung Ming Pet Central, and the lady said that the new shipment of fish were all tropical and salt water fish. :( However, she promised to call me back when a new shipment of goldfish arrive. I don't want to miss the boat!

Ahh... The wait. Now, I'm glad I got my Ranchu last week. :D

Archived