Darn Algae Scraper

Ginevive

I got an algae scraper and thought it was the best thing since the siphon was invented. You know, the magnetic scrapers where one side is in the tank to scrape the algae, and you move the other side around the outside tank face to move the scraper. Well, it ended up somehow scratching the inside glass of my tank. Maybe I overdid it?

Just a warning; if your tank is not heavily coated with algae, maybe you should not use these things!

Guest serpthia

That stinks. I am sorry this happened to you. Especially since tanks can be a costly investment. I use an algae mitt for the front and sides. I only use the scraper for the back.

Which side ofj the magnet did you have on the inside? I put

the smooth side in the water and the rough side on the outside.

There are two types of magnetic scraper that I have seen... the 'razor blade' and the velcro. Basically thats not their true names, its just what the scraper material looks like.

I have the velcro scraper. It has a smooth felt part and the rough velcroy part. I always keep the rough side on the inside. I have not had any problems with scratches, in fact, I have had more problems scraping away all the algae, I usually have to go over the area a few times.

The razor blade one, I remember my folks used to have a tank set up and used that type of scraper. This one may be more prone to scrapes because if you do not scrape in the right direction you 'cut' the glass.

But I really don't know what you have. I would make sure that whatever you have got is ok for glass/acrylic since there is a difference in pads for the two types of tank materials.

Cheers!

I used the rough, velcro-like side inside the tank. It did remove the algae really good, perhaps better than I expected, and I guess I went over the clean area too much. But it is not really a big scratch, and I did get the tank at a cheap price cuz it was used, so it isn't all that bad.

Archived