Eggs In The Tank....

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Hi everyone, I bought a new snail a couple of days ago, as our poor Sally the snail passed away last week... sniff sniff :cry1

Anyway, I noticed that this new guy, Fugi, had a whole bunch of black spots stuck all over his body and some were falling to the gravel as he slid up the tank. At first I thought that he must be sick or something, but when I did the water change, I noticed that there were thousands of these "black spots" all over the gravel floor. Have I fallen off my rocker, or are these really snail eggs? I think I did a pretty good job getting them out of the tank, but should I expect a snail epidemic?

Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Hmmmmm..... I wonder what's going on in there... I did see one little bunch stuck together, but that's about it as far as clutches are concerned. :(

And I didn't even realize that there were what seems like thousands of them until I started sucking up the water. Although I did put a few (hundred) in a fish bowl (my son thinks he's gonna get rich off of selling snails to his friends) so I guess we'll see what happens. Gotta say, I'm really concerned about what these things are!

Sorry to burst your your son's bubble, Fancy Bubbles, but it does indeed sound like snail poop. My snails do an awful lot of it, and it looks like a black carpet at times on my barebottom tank. Snail eggs are either clear or pink, at least those are the colors I get from my insularums and from the spixis.... :)

Is some snial poo pelleted like bunnies' poo? Gary's is always in short little strings ( 1/4-1/2 in)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fancy_Bubbles

Well, you guys were right. Hehehe, it's definately poop! Every week I siphon those darn things out the following week there's thousands of them again!

The ramshorn that I had before didn't poop nearly as much as this new mystery snail!!!

Archived