You Just Gotta See These Tanks By Awrieger

PaNdeM0niuM

There it is the tank with the buddah!! I love that one and have a buddah exactly like that in my living room, I think hubby would kill me if I put in my tank though.

I had been looking for that tank pic for a long time now, Thanks for diggin that up Pamdemonium!!

They are gergous tanks...... :exactly

There it is the tank with the buddah!! I love that one and have a buddah exactly like that in my living room, I think hubby would kill me if I put in my tank though.

I had been looking for that tank pic for a long time now, Thanks for diggin that up Pamdemonium!!

They are gergous tanks...... :exactly

399776[/snapback]

yeah that buddah is a terrific centerpiece !!

and his aquascaping in definitely on song !!

Wow, thanks for that! I'm totally stunned and overwhelmed to see a thread about my tanks! :)

Unfortunately, those two goldie tanks don't exist any more, as I had to pull them apart. :( But I have a nice new big tank which I'm thinking about setting the Buddha up in again. But with a barebottom and having the plants in pots instead. I tried it before, but the tank was just a little small, so with a bigger tank now it should be okay.

As for the planted tropical tank, it didn't stay that neat and tidy for long! It's now a complete jungle and needs a big pruning and trimming to get back under control. But I did manage to get a photo of it before it became totally overgrown, so this is how it looked just four weeks after that other pic. I sort of like it like this as it looks like a Constable painting or something. (Oh, and I just added my signature to it because I was thinking about entering it in a aquaplant forum competition, but I'm not so sure about doing that now after seeing how awesome the other entries are!)

forum087.JPG

PS. PaNdeM0niuM, I do have snails! You can see a couple on the grass there in this pic.

I love those tanks! I'm too broke to have a planted tank, but one day I'll definately try. Awrieger, how do you vacuum the gravel in the tank with the "grass"? I think I asked already and you've answered my question, but I can't remember!

OMG! Your tanks are stunning!!! Can y ou share with us what kind of plants you used? Like what it that small grassy stuff?

Also what is your weekly maintenance like on these tanks? How do you clean them?

Just stunning though!!!!

I've gotta ask you aw - how much time did it take to set them up? Where do you get your plants from? Anywhere on the north? <crosses fingers> :D

They are definitely some of the most stunning tanks i've ever seen (and lordy knows i've gawked at a lot) :D

Wow, thanks again for the compliments everyone! :) I'll try and answer all your questions. If I miss one, just let me know as I'm happy to answer!

Where did u get that buddah ?? what is it made from?

I bought it over the internet from pygmypossum.com.au in Brisbane. Couldn't find any shops in Sydney. Mind you, I didn't look very hard though as the internet is easier! ;) It's pure, unpainted ceramic.

How do you vacuum the gravel in the tank with the "grass"?

I don't! I only syphon off any loose stuff settled on the leaves, but I leave the substrate alone. Besides, the grass is too thick! So I just leave it, and any mulm just gets broken down by the bacteria in the substrate (just like with soil on land). Unlike goldies, the tropicals don't stir it up so it's okay. If I stirred it up myself, the tank would go all cloudy and messy!

Can you share with us what kind of plants you used? Like what it that small grassy stuff?

Also what is your weekly maintenance like on these tanks? How do you clean them?

There are only four types of plants in there now. The Dwarf Hairgrass which should be easily available from any lfs which sells plants. The big red thing is a Red Lotus (there's a Green Lotus as well, but it's still small), and the plants in the background are Limnophilia Aromatica (which grow redder under stronger light, or as it grows closer to the light). There's also some red Rotala Macranda in there, but you can't see it now underneath all the Aromatica!

Weekly maintenance is a 50% water change, followed by a full dose of macro-nutrients (like nitrate, potassium, phosphate, iron and magnesium). Then daily doses of a complete plant food (with no nitrate or phosphate in it) and Flourish Excel liquid carbon. And that's it! Sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just routine you have to get into.

I've gotta ask you aw - how much time did it take to set them up? Where do you get your plants from? Anywhere on the north? <crosses fingers>

Sorry, I don't know about in the north, Jen! Strictly Aquariums at either Yagoona or Beverly Hills (they have a huge new store bigger than both those put together now somewhere) have a great range of plants they get from a proper nursery. They also keep the plants in separate plant tanks so you don't buy any fish diseases and stuff with the plants.

It took me about two hours to set up the tank with everything including the CO2. Then about four hours planting all the little hairgrass strands and tying the moss to the driftwood!

This pic you've seen before in the other thread is literally 6 hours after starting from scratch.

forum048.jpg

Are they hard to maintain?  I want a tank like the big tropical one. 

It's not that big really. It's only a two foot tank, about 20 gallons (80 litres) of water.

Actually, they are a lot easier to maintain than goldie tanks! Give them enough light and CO2 and all you have to do is just get into the routine of feeding the plants every day, just like you would your fish, and you can't stop them growing! It's easy to forget or overlook as the plants aren't dancing round begging for food like goldies do! But they need daily feeding just the same. So then it's just a matter of monthly trimming and pruning.

You know I think your tanks always look Amazing! I wish you could set one up for me.... :exactly

Thanks Ginger. :) But the trick is not just in the set up, but keeping to the daily fertilising routine as I mentioned above, so even if I did set one up for you 90% of the success would be due to your own efforts anyway!

The way I did it was to separate the bunch you buy into separate little plants on a plate (you get about 30 to 50 in a bunch) and plant them one by one a cm or two deep in the substrate with a pair of tweezers so they don't come loose. Which is why it took so long - I used 6 bunches! After that, they spread by little runners and fill the space and you get a nice and thick 3" deep carpet in a month or so! :)

It needs strong direct light and good fertiliser. Just like a lawn! For instance, in the shade of the Lotus leaves, it's not growing as well as elsewhere.

That black substrate I have is Caribsea Ecocomplete for plants which holds nutrients well and is finer than gravel so the hairgrass roots well too. I'm afraid I just don't know how well hair grass would hold or grow in normal gravel, sorry!

Archived