Sign in to follow this  
nichjake

My Fish Keeps Trying To Jump Out Of The Tanks!

Is trying to jump out of the tank normal behavior or does he need something? He never did this until yesterday, at least not that I saw. Luckily I've got a lid on the tank and he cant get out but I'm still worried about him hurting himself. He smacks agianst the lid, I'm afraid he'll hit the light bulb and burn himself or scratch himself on one of the edges.

The only other goldies that I've had do this were being chased by a Beta that my mom put in the tank with them so I could understand that, but nothing is threatening this guy. Could he just be bored or too hyper?

My water params are great, perfectly normal, and he usually does the picking. My only other fish Freddie, is usually swimming along the bottom when Leo jumps. I'm pretty sure he's not being harassed... at least physically, I have no idea what Freddie might be saying to him.

Guest JustJayde

I had a fish yrs ago that was a jumper.... but he did it from day one. I think it was just a game to him.

If yours is just starting this, it is odd :blink:

I read somewhere, probably on the site that jumping is a sign something is wrong with the water usually. It was the only explanation I ever saw... I hope someone has more ideas.

You could loosely line your lid with saran wrap (make sure its not touching the light) and it will collect moisture so if he hits it in a jump he is less likely to get hurt...

Oh that's a great idea, I never would have thought of using saran wrap. I'll have to try it, anything is better than Leo getting hurt.

Are you sure your pH didn't take a nose dive, NichJake? That's the only thing right now that comes into my mind for sudden "urges" of wanting to get out of the water....

I THINK WE SHOULD EXPLORE THIS THEORY ABOUT WHAT THAT ONE FISH MIGHT BE SAYING TO HIM TO MAKE HIM WANT TO LEAP OUT...U MAY JUST HAVE A MEAN FISH :angry: ON UR HAND.....HE COULD WANT HIM SLEEPIN WITH THE FISHES <_< ...HEHEHE :rofl

OR MAYBE HE JUST LIKED THE MOVIE FREE WILLY!!! GOSH GUESS HE JUST WANTS TO GO BACK HOME!!! LOL :rofl

HEY THIS SI NEW TO ME i DIDN'T EVEN KNO THEY COULD JUMP!! HEHE

:unsure: Fish trying to jump out of the water,is definately not normal,and always leads back to water quality.What exactly are your water params reading? Are you using a water conditioner to detoxify chlorine,metals,etc? If your water params are reading spot on,and your using a tap water safe conditioner to get rid of chlorine,chloramines,metals,and you have not had any type of PH crash,the only thing left that could possibly cause this,is Parasites-possibly flukes.Has your fish shown any other symptoms of something wrong? Scratching/Flashing/Pale Gills/Swollen Gills/Spitting/etc? By the way,I'm moving this thread to the correct area,so we can help you the most. ;)

my koi would ALWAYS jump after I changed the water in the pond. I think it was the tempurature shock because the water from the hose was much cooler than the warm pond. I lost two koi koi because of that and I caught one in time. I just happened to go outside to view my pond and noticed him flopping on the ground!

Edited by gia_ekdahl

My water params are great, everything is normal. He hasn't shown any other signs of something wrong. The only thing I can think of is that he's trying to get my attention. His tank on right above my computer and I spend a lot of time there, probably too much. The only time I've notice him jump is when I'm at my computer, when I'm anywhere else in the room he doesn't jump and since I'm in a dorm I've only got one room so if I'm home I can watch and hear them if they jump.

Over the past day I've noticed he jumps the most in the morning and a night, the times I feed them. He always jumps before I feed him and never jumps after hes eaten. I think he might be telling to hurry up feed him, if he relates my going to the computer to him getting fed that could be the reason, (could it?) I know fish can learn certain things, like tapping on the glass means chow time maybe I just have a precosious fish.

I don't really know, I'm just taking a stab at it. Is there any possibility he could be trying to get me to feed him, or is it wishful thinking on my part?