Sign in to follow this  
Kissy

How To Clean Dirty Glass

How do you clean the outside surface of the tank? I'm afraid of using chemicals so close to my fishies, especially since my tropical tank has no hood. Can I just spray windex on a paper towel in a different room and then wipe the glass?

I got some Python glass cleaner from Big Al's online--safe for fish, no harsh chemicals. I don't know if it's just me, but it smell like vinegar!!

Guest JustJayde

I just use water (wet a paper towel or cloth and wash it well then dry it quickly with a new one)

the faster you do it the cleaner it gets.

I do windows the same way lol

We use vinegar to wash windows here, so it probably is just vinegar fantailfan! But on my tanks i just get a wet cloth, give it a wash, then get newspaper and scrub your life away, so no streaks or anything.

Yeah once I got the Python glass cleaner and used it I thought, "I think I just spent $4 on 10 cents worth of vinegar!!"

But it's green so they must have added something else to it. I just think after it's gone I'll probably use vinegar (and maybe throw in some green food coloring--jk).

I think I'll try sven's method..I'm not interested in buying anymore things...I already have so many things I need to buy for my fishies and I don't even have enough money to buy them, so keep a list and only buy the things I need right then. I wish I had time for a job so bad! (anyways, we don't have vinegar)

Why newspaper? Does it have more defense against streaks?

I think you can use any kind of cloth, but i find cloths leave bits of fibre, newspaper leaves nothing. It takes a fair wack of good ol scrubbing to dry all the water with the paper but i think the end results are worth it :) Just think of it as an arm workout :P

I use filtered water and wipe down the glass. No minerals so no water marks. It cleans up just fine.

Why newspaper? Does it have more defense against streaks?

The ink on newspaper acts as a polisher and will also leave a protective film.

Make sure its only the back and white kind though.

I do it the way you were wondering, with the windex sprayed on a paper towel and I have never had any problems

Newspaper in Australia dosent have the toxic chemicals other countries use :) Safe to use with animals.

I spray vinegar on a cleaning towel (I do not use paper towel or newspapers at all for environmental reasons) - in another room - and then wipe the glass carefully and then polish it with another cleaning cloth. Doesn't take very long and the tank really doesn't get very dirty at all so I only do it rarely - that might be different for people with families! :lol:

Heh..Graham I've got a few nose prints of my own on the glass :P

to clean my tank i use some water in a spray bottle and some paper towel :D