How To Fix A Crappy Shell....

smack536

Wow, that is really pretty! Does the polish hurt the water? Does it flake off in the water? How many coats did you do? Is it ok, even if they have a crack, or will it get into the crack, and hurt the snail? Sorry for all the questions. I want to try this, but want all the details first. :D Lets see what color should I use..............

the nail polish is... Sally Hansen Nail Makeup and the color is Aqua Chrome

I wouldnt do it if they have a deep crack, since you dont want the polish itself touching their bodies, but if hte shell is just eroded, then go for it!

the polish will eventually flake off a bit, but the small crumbs, the filter will pick up. I dont worry about it, since there are no fish in my tank to eat the crumbs...if you did have fish, maybe thats a different story.

I only used 1 coat of blue, but the silver is gonna take 2 coats :)

I don't like it, sorry. It looks really cool but I do think it's bad for the snail and the water. It erodes and than breaks into it's components. Oily substances and chemicals that will hurt the water. The shell of a snail consists off calcium and chemicals can break it down or pass through. Other snails may graze of him and eat the paint :crp

I didn't mean to sound so negative but had to give my opinion ;)

Turtles can die when there shells get painted or pollished beceause it just penetrates through the shell.

:unsure: I'm afraid that although it does look cool,I was thinking along the same lines as Marx on the erosion/breakdown of the polish itself in the water. I don't have Data in front of me proving this of course-just seems to me that it's unnatural/and wouldn't be a good thing. I personally would not feel comfortable in doing this-of course.....JMO.

How exactly does the nail polish break down in water? Would somone mind posting the data for it and the types of nail polish used to get the data? If it turns out to be correct, so be it, but I tested nail polish strips and foud that they did not affect the water. It never dissolved for me once set, even after a very long time. It only flaked off if picked loose. Coating snails with sever shell erosion with clear nail polish is a common last resort when the shell won't stop deteriorating, and can save the snail from getting a shell that is so thin that is shatters in the back. If the nail polish is completely dry and solidified when placed into the water, nothing bad happens. The problem occurs when (1) the wet nail polish touches the snail's skin or (2) the unset nail polish is put in the water. Then you can get toxic stuff. Shell painting can be an ethical issue, but the chemcial agument should be kept separate from the ethical one.

I have no idea either way what it does to the water. Up until you mentioned your tests,I didn't even know that much.All I can say that when you add something like that to a living animal,your normal thought wonders what, if possibly anything could happen,that's all. It is good to know that you have done these many tests.,and it's good to know that if a snail of mine has a serious erosion problem, clear polish can be used to help keep the snail from deteriorating even more. Do these tests apply to all polish,clear and color's? I don't think anyone was really trying to take it from an Ethical Issue or to a Chemical arguement.I think everyone has their own thoughts an opinions,that's all.Truthfully, your tests may make me feel better to a point,but I'd still be quite hesitant and only do it as a last resort.

Man I am so sorry...I just re-read my post and I somehow I managed to really come off sounding like a jerk. I had no idea 6am was capable of doing that to me. Sorry everyone :crp I'll try to refrain from posting before I've had morning coffee in the future.

I'd still be quite hesitant and only do it as a last resort.

I agree. It's a sensitive procedure like epoxy patching, because of the snail skin-contact issue with the chemicals. I've only done it once or twice, and only on portions of shell that were so messed up they were just flaking to bits no matter what the water was like. Something I forgot to add last post as well: other people have reported that it can require upkeep like painting a rusty spot on a car rpeatedly if the snail keeps scratching it off on ornaments/gravel.

:rolleyes: Hey,Don't worry about it.We all have our moments,and you know how talking on the Internet goes. For a moment,I did wonder,but I know of your posting over at Apple Snail,and never thought you to be anything but okay. I have yet to do that,(polishing) or the Epoxy patching,and believe me,they both make me nervous just thinking about it. :unsure: I could just see something seeping thru the crack of the shell or something and burning the poor thing or worse. And by the way,Our Snail Forum is still a pretty new area,so we will always welcome any advice or knowledge that you 'd like to throw our way....Just lighten up a little! :rofl:krazy:

Guest Chishower

I can understand why you might be skiddish about it, I was very nervous the whole time. The snail I painted was the new one I got who cannot put up with any more shell deterioration. This way looks cool, and seems to be partially effective. Its a win win situation so far.

How is clear nail polish different than the colored kind?

It's not...but it looks funky. Most people prefer clear nailpolish because you can still keep track of what's oging on underneath...it's a little safer for keeping an eye on the problem should something happen from underneath, but the chemistry is the same.

Wait, wouldn't the nail polish 'hurt' the water? Like make it dangerous for fish or something?

No. This is what I was trying to say before. It won't do anything bad unless you put wet nail polish in the water. After it's set and is 100% dry, that's it--the toxins to worry about are gone. It is safe in water, and they can even eat it. Same goes for the marine epoxy putty used to patch shell breaks.

I did read something recently in investigating this topic that said some company was doing water-based nail polishes that do not have the normal chemicals in them. Given that they wash off with scrubbing in water like a temporary tatoo, it could cause problems. However, those are not sold in most places and in fact I've never seen anything of the sort. If it's normal nail polish that you use on your nails, it's safe once it's dry! Think about all the people with polished nails that keep fishtanks and have to reach in and out...doesn't cause problems for them ;)

Archived