Sign in to follow this  
blueangel12328

New Tank

Ok for my brithday my parents got me a 30 gallon tank...GOLDFISH!! :newfish I am just wondering what type of filter should i get? I was think maybe an undergravel, I really don't know what it the best is there anything special i should get, it is going to be a few months before i can even get water in it. Any advice will work, what theme should it have colors ect ect :lol:

Congrats on your new tank. I have a 30 & I run 2 hang on back filters. I clean one one week & the other the next.

Keep us posted on your progress towards stocking your new tank!! :exactly

Congratulations!

I've heard good things about the Marineland Penguin filters, and I know that whatever filter you get should cycle 10 x's the gallons per hour (ideally). This means the filter or filters you get should cycle 300 gallons of water per hour in your tank.

I don't have it myself, but I think black gravel really shows off goldie colors.

Good Luck and Send us pics when you get everthing set up! :D

Thanks, It's a black tank so i think black gravel will look really nice in it.

post-3973-1127341508_thumb.jpg

I don't recommend underground filters, they are not good with gf.

GF will dig thru the gravel on the bottom and if you have one of these filters, toxins build up in them and then the gf release the toxins and can make them sick.

Hang on the back filters do really well, especially ones with bio wheels. Like the penguins or emperors.

And I also think the black gravel will look nice, but remember gf root around so make sure to get a quality gravel or they will eat the paint off them.

Aw, how awesome! Your parents are really great, I love how they put the 'Happy Birthday' banner on it! :) Lucky you!

I agree with Laurie_P, UGF are not well suited for goldfish, I have a Penguin Bio-wheel and it's the best thing since sliced cheese. For a 30 gallon you should look for a 350 or a 400 Penguin/Emperor, that'll filter it out 10x and then some. Have fun setting that up! Ah, and pictures pictures pictures!

Congratulations! That is a great b-day present. Let us know how you set it up and pics would be great too. :D

Happy Birthday! You're so lucky to have gotten a nice big tank for your b-day! What kind of fish are you gonna get? Can't wait to see pics of it completely set up.

hapy birthday!!

congrats on the new tank! its awsome!!

i love the hapy birhtday banner too!! :D

Congratulations!That is indeed an awesome birthday present :D

Congrats on your new tank! and Happy Birthday! :happyb:tbanana

I have a 30 gal. tank and I have the penguin 350 on it. It's great and I love it.

Yeah! :yay: Happy Birthday! :wish:

What a great tank! I like the picture with the birthday "wrapping" and everything!

Have fun! :D

Guest Vex

Happy Birthday!!! The tank looks nice. I also have a 30gal. I would recommend a Penguin 350. It is what I have and it has worked very well. I have 2 Ryukins and a Common. I will be trying to find a good home for the Common eventually, dont know if I have enough space for all 3 of them. That might mean I have to get a bigger tank : ) Anyways good luck on your new tank and hope you find some good looking GF to go with it.

HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, blueangel12328!! you have some really sweet parents.

my parents wouldnt do that. i have a penguin 200 power filter and a rena xp3 canister. both does a great job filtering the water.

lol i have been wanted one for a few years now! I love orandas, so i will get at least 1 oranda, a fantail and a ranchu. That should do it! hopefully in the next week or two i can start buying the things i need. :)

Nice tank :D i would put three goldies in than one :newfish ....oh and by the way :birth

Edited by LabFish

Very nice hope i can get as good of a present for my B-Day!!