New Fish

balashark

hey all. :newfish:D

just got a new betta, well, actually this one is my fianc?'s; she picked him out, picked out the aquarium she wanted, the decorations, etc. i was just there to make sure she got a filter and a small heater :)

anyways, we put him in his new home last night, and he imediately changed from the pale purple he was at the store to a bright bright red, then just as quickly to a deep blue. i had never seen anything like that, his entire fins, his body, everything changed. he changed colors a couple more times back and forth before we went to bed. this morning a pale purple again. is that normal and if so, what does it mean?

i'm new to bettas myself, but i've been checking out the posts in the forum for a while. just one more question, when he (don't know what to call it) fans out his gills; is that a sign of stress or maybe he sees his reflection in the glass? i'll get a backdrop for it when i go out today.

thanks for the help.

Thats weird 0_o

My betta has been blueish redish colors since I remember-Never chnaged 0_o

Cool betta!Whats his name?

And congrats on the new fish-I'm going to go get a betta today ot tommorow-Found a 1 gall exactly the same which I house my betta for a buck-I bought that one for 10!So,yeah ^_^

Sounds like you have a fiesty little guy! What usually prompts him to flare out? His reflection is one thing, sometimes if the water is agitated. Mine flares up when I put my finger in the tank.

Strange on the color changing.... since I've had mine his color has only become more intense, but always the same color that he started off with.

Oh, what kind of filter to you have? It might be shaking up the water too much for his taste, you can try blocking the outflow with a plant or something, I did that in my tank.

good buy whirlwind, of course you'll have to post pics of your new fish :)

he's jen's betta, so i guess i should let her name him B) i told her about the string on here about tai names; and she thought that was really cool so i'm hoping she picks one of those.

it was mostly his reflection, and he hasn't been doing it at all today; so i'm guessing it was just the first time he's seen his reflection (kept in those stupid plastic bowls at the pet store).

the filter i have is for a 2-5 gallon (the aq is 2.5) and it's on the lowest setting, barely trickling out now. they do live in tide pools though in nature, so maybe i'll try blocking it somehow. thanks for the idea littleone.

man i hope someone comes on here and tells me their betta changes color... :unsure: i'm starting to worry :)

it's sooo cool though, i can just sit there and stare at him, and it's like he knows it's amusing me so he'll just keep switching from bright red to deep blue. he does it slower now, but i really think it's intentional; for whatever reason. i'm gonna try and get some pics that show it. too bad i don't have a video recorder.

thanks,

that's pretty cool, but weird :blink: can you take pics? that's would be neat to see. when i got jojo :rip: the water he was in at the store was a light blue and i thought he was blue, but was surprised when he turned out to be red. i thought it was just was just the water, but now you make me wonder :huh:

What an awesome betta, I've heard of these "rainbow" bettas but never personaly seen one. My guess as to why they change colour would be they carry a dominant/recessive marble genotype which often plays out sporaticly as their phenotype, which is why they randomly change colours. I don't know for sure but that's just my take, the colour changing is harmless, just watch out for clamped fins and paleness, that indicates illness.

k, i took way to many pics of the little guy, prolly stressed him out enough for one day :) i put some of the different color paters into one big pic (below). the top left is the same purple he was at when i spotted him in the store, i had never seen a betta like that. the two right pics you can see some red in his tail and no red in his tail. the one on the bottom left is the color he changed when i first put him in the aquarium. it really scared me cuz of how sudden he changed color, i thought i had done something wrong w/ the water or something. but then he changed to more like the pic in the top middle, and that's what he looks like most of the time. i couldn't get any good pics of it, but in the bottom middle, he'll turn his entire body and all fins that purplish color in the top of his tail; that's jen's favorite :)

tam, thanks so much for your post. :)

c214ee77.jpg

here's one more pic i took, just of the aq. and decorations jen picked out.

c7628a64.jpg

Marbled maroons and purples all tend to pale when they're stressed. It's really easy to see on the ones that have lighter bodies. It's something to do with the the colour layers. I notice it more on the female fish. I have one that goes completely white with just a splash of colour on her rays... or when she's happy her fins rainbow up with purple and blue and red. Even my dark red girls can go brown bodied and pink finned in an instant.

thanks all, can't wait til jen comes home so she can read y'all like her aquarium :)

thanks yabbie. yea, sometimes he'll go kinda whitish in color, especially in his body. so that means something's stressing him out possibly?

i just realized something, this is my first time cycling a tank w/ fish in it. i've always been fortunate enough to cycle my tanks before adding any fish at all. i've got the steps down of what cycling is, but is there anything special i need to watch out for w/ fish in? i used filter media from my goldfish aquarium, and 1/3 of the water that's in there now is straight from my tropical aquarium. this would be day 2, the amonia and nitrite are both at 0.00, didn't bother checking nitrate. tomorrow i'm putting a small sword tail plant from my tropical in with him. is there anything else i need to do or watch for; or should i not have tried this with a beta? i didn't mean to, honest! :)

oh yea, the ph out of my tap is really basic, at 7.2-.4; so that's what he's in now. do bettas prefer more or less acidity?

[edit]

also, back to the cycling. i did a 20% water change today (i figured every other day from then on) using stress coat w/ aloe to dechlorinate and cycle for more beneficial bacteria. ph and temp matched of course.

oh yea, thanks devs and kristy too. jen spent a good 15 minutes digging through the shelves to find something she liked before coming up w/ that. i'm a sucker for live plants though, so i gotta put something in there. i figured the sword tail would be good, maybe get a little bacteria transfer to help keep the amonia down, then to help convert the nitrate.

Archived