How Often?

froggydella

I have had my snails now for about 4 weeks, Heather sent them too me, I have one big dude and 4 smaller ones that have lovely strips on their shells.

My question is how often do I feed them?...I have been thawing our frozen veggies for them about once a week or so, I usually just pick out the green beans and peas for the fish of course, othewise she would feel left out and beg me anyways.

I was going to also get some cucumbers and wafers and such, after reading the food list thread. They love the green beans but they always act as if though they are starving to be fed? So that is what led me to believe that they needed more or are they just pigs?

I will have to double check on Heathers message on what kind they all are..I want to say a Brig and Cana species..

I also wanted to check on keeping a tank of just snails? I have noticed a lot of you are doing that, And I know that Dev's does..Can I put a few differen't species in there? Just curious to know a lil more bout a snail only tank.

One more thing, Can I take them out and hold them? I tried to pick one up tonight but I kina freaked out a lil bit... :rofl I am not used to snails and I used to think they were icky, so I was kina weirded out by em, but now I love to watch them cruise the tank....Can they see?

Thanks guys, I am soooo novice to snails...I did read through the snail section a bit but just wanted to clear a few things up. :)

Guest Chishower

I feed my hogs every day, because is a new tank and there is nothing else for them to eat, but with how much I feed it really taxes my poor filter! I have brigs and canas in there, but my canas might be finding a new home with smack soon.

In their food dish right now they have blanched cucumber, peas, and green beans. I have a picture somewhere....

You should be able to hold them if you can get them off the glass! Just dont freak out when they start nibbling on you...hungry little devils!

:rolleyes: I feed my snails fresh veggies just about everyday.On days that I have run out,I also feed them a little fish food/spirulina flakes/shrimp pellets,and whatever else I have close by that I think they'll eat.They seem to be happy.(And they don't touch my plants anyway,so that's always a plus! :lol:

Cool, Thanks guys..

ANDY~ When you said "food dish" What do you mean?

Owen wanted to hold one today, so I grabbed on outta there that wasn't stuck to the side of the glass..( I tried to get one off the glass...But man are they strong..lol)

He did good with it, I wanted him to hold it first to see his reaction, casue I am such a wuss!! :wacko: He dropped him, but only on the carpet and he was sitting when he was holding him, so I think he is just fine. I just put him back in the tank after that...he was prolly thinkin get this kid away from me lady!!! :yikes

Pebbles seems to get really mad when she doesn't get ne thing so I always have to drop some peas in there for her also.

So far so good though, they seem happy and healthy!! :D

Guest Chishower

By food dish I mean:

P1010286.jpg

:rofl Little piggies!

Devs told me to slide them around on the glass to get them off...but they dont seem to want to let go! I just gentely slip my fingernail under one side of their foot and they let go.

Speaking of snails...I can hear them yelling for supper!

Teehee look at your piggie snails! :D Is that the bottom to a flower pot? I just went and bought one today for a cave for my Cory.. and I turned down the bottom part. :wall But then again, maybe my own little piggies excersize their minds when trying to find the food. Maybe.

I feed mine a good-sized piece of food every other day. They don't starve, and if I feed them every day I end up with Planaria. I just plopped in a snail biscuit and they were all over it. :)

Snail only tanks are fine. I have 4 species in my snail-only tank, so you can generally mix species to your heart's content.

Snails can see, but on a very limited basis. They see blurry black-and-white shapes. Poke around applesnail.net, there's a section about this that I still remember.

Guest Chishower

Yep, its a bottom to a 4 inch pot, brand new and soaked in dechlor water for awhile. I use it to attempt to keep the food in one spot. ALL those veggies were gone in an hour.

That floater is the snail with the crummy shell I just got...poor dear. Occasionally I catch him with his crooked syphon out, or his longer tentacles. Scared stiff right now. Frank is so curious, too! Keep wrapping his foot around the new ones shell and holding on for up to 5 minutes at a time.

I cant wait...I am turning into an invert tank. *dances*

Airwen, I thought I saw you over at applesnail! I was thinking about joining...maybe someday, but I do love reading through the forums.

Cool thanks a bunch for all the info...WOW I never even knew that that was called a foot! Ya learn something new everyday I guess..

I think I will try out the food dish thing, Will that be okay with my goldie in there too?

Oh and my husband and I were talking today, and he had mentioned that salt hurts or kills snails? Is that true? He heard that it will make them actually "scream" or something like that....Maybe it's a myth but we argued bout it so I thought I would just see who is right...I thought it sounded strange but I could be wrong, I usually am ne ways... :idont

Anyone know what I am talking about? I assume by salt he meant table salt....

PLANRIA~~ What is that? Something not good I assume?

Thanks again ladies... :D

~KISSY~

Intresting, I may have to look that up, Though I would NEVER do anything to harm my snail freinds, I was just curious to find out wheter this was truth or myth.

It actually got brought up because we were eating lunch and I had french fries, and was going to take one of the snails out for my son to hold and my husband to go wash my hands first. I asked why and he told me salt will kill them..So thats how it all got brought up in the first place.

Thanks, I think I will Yahoo that one to find out more.

Guest Chishower

The actual crystals themselves will hurt the snails. I have put salt up to .2% in my big tank with snails in it, but the snails didn't like it...they were fine, but they hung out at the top a little more than usual. No salt in my new tank, thats for sure!

Always wash your hands before and after you hold the little guys, snails have have bacteria you dont really want on them, and they are sensitive to stuff you might have on your hands as well.

There is some discussion as to whether salt will hurt snails. Some people use tiny amounts and say it works. I don't use any just to be on the safe side.

Planaria are small white worms that show up in tanks when there's too much uneaten food around (thanks for the info Donya). I went on vacation, and to make it easier on my zoo-sitter (no kidding), I said feed one piece of food daily. I came home to a Planaria infestation! I put my Cory in there though, and in about a week, he had eaten all the nasty little worms.

If you handle your snails enough they will get used to it. When I had my first snail, I would pick him up so often he'd just let go and hang out of his shell then walk around on my hand for a while.

Always wash your hands before and after you hold the little guys, snails have have bacteria you dont really want on them, and they are sensitive to stuff you might have on your hands as well.

396884[/snapback]

With soap before?

Cool beans!! :D I am trying now to get them used to me....I am still kina freaked bout them for some reason, I think it's all in my head though, I just have this pre concived notion that they are slimy I guess. :idont

I am going to try a few new foods this week, and give the food dish thing a whirl.

So it's a NEGATIVE on any kind of salt then I take it, IE: Table salt on your hands or aquarium salt correct.

Guest Chishower

Yep, salt is bad on the snail front.

I just have this pre concived notion that they are slimy I guess.

They ARE slimy! Thats another reason to wash your hands after, to get all the slime off! It has a tendency to clog my pathetic filter, though. <_<

Okay with that all said, And thank you for letting me know that they are slimers Andy!! Now I will be aware and not freak out and toss em when I do hold em... :yikes

~ ANDY~ How do you get all your food to sit in the dish like that? I can't even get it to sink nice without the dish..I just fed the crew now and it all floated back up to the top already...Thanks Andy in advance:) Your a lot of help to me!! :exactly

I don't really notice that they are slimey really, they just feel ... wet to me. *shrug* Luckily they don't leave noticable slime trails around your tank or anything like land snails *shudder*.

Ok so I'm not Andy.. but I like to feed them only food that sinks. It's just easier for everybody. Like snail biscuits (home-made), carrots, grapes, that sort of thing.

Doesn't boiling or freezing them do something to the sink-ability? I don't remember.

I can't stand the land snails. Yuck. I collect their shells when they're.. ah.. done with them, just to observe differences and similarities, but they're too much like slugs.

Recipe.. let me go find.

Here you go:

http://www.rainbowsnails.com/view_doc.php?view_doc=18

I warn you, these are rather smelly and messy. I finally got them right and this is the third batch I've tried - the others clouded the water and floated. Snails love them though. You can buy them from various online sellers, so if it doesn't go right, you can always go that route.

Cool Thanks Airwen~

Thanks for the link too, and the warning bout the smell!!

Ahh okay well I got a dish just like Andy has, And I boiled the green beans accordinly. I put them in there with some cucumbers and put the dish in the tank got it all placed in the rocks, and opps there goes the veggies back to the top again!! So how would I get them to stay in the darned dish?? I thought I did everything right but I guess I screwed something up along the way....

AHHHH so many questions.....Sorry... :unsure:

Archived