Can The 2 Breed?

Guest Lavisa

Can a Koi and a comet or common (read they were the same just a little confused)

breed with one another? My Mother in law has these "goldfish" from last years babies. She had 2 koi and the rest comets and one who looks like a cross breed oranda. Well her babies from last year are the color of brownish black of the koi and has the mouth of a koi but no barbels and the shape body wise of the goldfish. Could the 2 have crossed? They are all carp right?? They definately are not full koi but the noses and mouth are just like the big one. They are kinda the color nof chocolate orandas.

Thanks,

Lori

Hey Tazz,

Just curious, I read on your bottom of your post had oranda eggs. Did any live? And then how are they doing? That would be so awesome!! Orandas are my favorite.

Lori

Lori-

IT was maybe only 10 or so eggs left that I was able to rescue...and I think that there are 2 out of the ten that that are still living....they are only like 3 weeks old, so it's hard to tell(especially when I mixed them with other small fried their size that were to small to go int he tank with teh bigger fry). I see several of them with double tail fins...so I'm praying some are orandas...cause I love them also :heart

Were they in an aquarium to begin with when you rescued them?

What would have been the chances of survival if they were just left?

I used to have mollies that had babies and I used to try hard to get them out

of the tank before they were eaten. Then finally when I was overrun with them

I though "Oh well come what may". And still had alot of survival.

So could you njust leave them?

And do you do water changes and raise temp to get them to breed or are they just frisky on their own.

Thanks,

Lori