Bettamax? Q About Treatment?

mary

Hi, everyone! I'm posting for my sister Deirdre. Her little betta, Zorrito, had a tear in his tail this morning, and he's been showing a few bright red blood vessels. So, although he's been acting fine otherwise, she decided to treat him with bettamax to prevent/cure any possible infection. But she had some questions about it:

(1) The guy at our LFS said bettas split their tails all the time and there was nothing to worry about. Is this true? And do they often show red blood vessels in their tails? I'd hate to be medicating without cause. Will the med stress him if he hasn't actually got the beginning of tail rot?

(2) While using the bettamax, should she keep the lights off? I thought she should, but the box didn't say.

Zorro's in an eclipse 6 with gravel, a few rocks, two plastic plants and java moss on a piece of driftwood. He's eating well and blowing bubble nests - seems fine except for the red streaks in his fins and now the tear. Deirdre changes about 15 percent of his water every two weeks, and we clean the filter every couple of months (that's due to be done soon). She checks the water pretty regularly, and so far as I know, she's had no ammonia or nitrites since it cycled last spring. There is no heater, so his temp. has been fluctuating slightly, but he's generally pretty warm - between 76 and 80. Oh - one other thing. She regularly adds a little aquarium salt to his water during changes - tries to keep a concentration of 1/2 teaspoon per U.S. gallon. She also adds a drop or two of aquarisol. Should she keep doing this with the med?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Yes bettas tear their tails (especially veiltails!) so I wouldnt worry. One of mine now has a split in his tail. It just happens sometimes. Im not sure about the red streaks but do you know how often shes putting the salt in? Sometimes if the salt builds up too high that can stress him and cause the tail to deteriorate. I personally dont liek to use salt with my bettas. None of them have any in their tanks and theyre fine. But thats just my opinion. I really would hesitate to medicate right now. I would rather just keep an eye on him. I believe the Bettamax is an antibiotic and you dont want to kill your cycle! Ive also used many other meds by that same company and found them to be harsh. Good luck in your decision.

Yes bettas tear their tails (especially veiltails!) so I wouldnt worry. One of mine now has a split in his tail. It just happens sometimes. Im not sure about the red streaks but do you know how often shes putting the salt in? Sometimes if the salt builds up too high that can stress him and cause the tail to deteriorate. I personally dont liek to use salt with my bettas. None of them have any in their tanks and theyre fine. But thats just my opinion. I really would hesitate to medicate right now. I would rather just keep an eye on him. I believe the Bettamax is an antibiotic and you dont want to kill your cycle! Ive also used many other meds by that same company and found them to be harsh. Good luck in your decision.

Keeping your water healthy (ammonia and nitrite 0, fairly low nitrate, no pH shifts, all that stuff) will probably do more than medication could. Melafix often helps heal torn fins, I used it after my betta jumped the divider and the two males beat each other up... and the longer-finned one seems almost fully healed after only a month. So if you want to use anything, melafix would be good. It wont hurt your cycle (not an antibiotic, or a really weak one anyway) so that's always good.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to let everyone know - we did decide to go with the bettamax, and Zorro is better. The reason we decided on the med is that he had the red sttreaks in his tail, as well as the tear, and now the red marks are nearly gone and the split is healed. Thanks, everyone!

Archived