Ph Problems

Aftran

what can I do? I don't want to start dumping a bunch of chemicals in the tank, but I lost 2 ramshorns to deterioration before because of pH, and now it's begining to happen to my golden apple snails. Anybody got any suggestions of how to solve this?

What is your pH? What is your general and carbonate hardness, do you know? I think it has more to do with hardness than pH unless your pH is really, really low. If you are having the shell problems, get a little calcium stone for your tank. They sell them for turtles, and they help to strengthen the turtles' shells. The ones Ive seen come in the shape of a little white turtle. They just dissolve over about a month and add calcium and minerals to the water. Im sure it would change your pH though so keep an eye on that. At the very worst you could always set up another separate tank for your snails. You could use dolomite gravel in that tank, which helps to buffer your pH.

I have no idea about hardness. My pH is almost a constant 8, although I haven't checked it for a few days. I'll look into the calcium stones, cause I can't afford to separate the snails. Besides, they like my airstones in the biger tank. :)

Alrighty. I broke down and spent a total of $32 yesterday buying all the tests I need. Here's my reading's........

pH: 7.4 (lower than normal)

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

GH: 53.7 ppm

KH: 17.8 ppm

Nitrate: 0

The Nitrate has to be wrong though. My tank has been up for over three months. :unsure:

Archived