Ph Problems

Chrissy_Bee

I've posted before that the driftwood in my tropical tank has been lowering the pH. Well lately it's been off the charts (below 6.0) in the past couple of weeks. The tank has mollies, who really like a high pH (around 7.5) so I'm pretty distressed. Anyone know what I can do? So far I've done large water changes, and treated the fresh water to raise the pH, with adjuster. However, even after adding this water the levels are still below 6 :krazy:

Hey, swap water... my pH is too high and I need slightly acidic water. I'm blaming the gravel which is white. But also my KH is low so the pH can swing. I've been cycling with the gravel for three weeks and I'm about to give up and take it out... or... perhaps... put in driftwood!

I'd add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda. predissolve in tank water and add slowly to a high water flow area. give it time to disperse and then check pH again. Repeat till you get an increase of around .4 in pH. I'd do this daily till pH is up in the mid to high 7s.

It sounds like you'll also need to buffer your change water for partial water changes.

Thanks for the advice, but I opted for taking the driftwood out and putting it in my goldfish tank. I figure the goldie tank is much larger so the effects won't be as bad, espically with all the water changes I do. Also, I know they aren't as sensitive to pH. So far it's working well and looks great too :D

Archived