Salting The Tank

d_golem

I'm feeling like I'm asking an elementary question here but just to make sure i gotta ask.

Is it compulsory to salt the tank? I've read many articles about setting up tanks but cant recall any that mentioned about salting the tank, but here in the forum seems like ppl are salting their tank frequently.

I've also read about the benefits of salting e.g. prevents 80% of diseases, enhances colour etc so I'm thinking of salting my tank.

If I decide to do so, how much salt should I put in? 0.1-0.3% sounds ok? and will it affect my fish & plants which are now already used to unsalted water?

Then again, I've read an article that mentions something simple but very important which goes like this:

"If your fish are healthy, don't change anything in any way, however often ppl told u to change. Basic care is good, over-mothering will eventually harm your fish."

Since I havent got any probs with my fish, I'm a bit wary about "changing things" even as little as adding a wee bit of salt to my tank.

Any suggestions?

Cheers ;)

It is not so elemantary of a question - rather complex as it seems to be debatable far and wide - with no firm conclusions! Some belive in it, some don't - there are varying "schools" of thought on this (both cheesy puns intended)! I did a lot of research myslef! But, I think you answered your own question! If all is going well, don't change anything. Salt is used mainly for medicinal purposes but at lower doses is used prophylactically. If your tank is fine and you are not salting, I would not worry (I would think) as long as good WQ is maintained. If a sitaution arose where salt had to be used to treat a disease, I would think one might consider continuing it at low doses with water changes as that would be the new norm. The nice thing about salt is that its use can be tapered, up or down, to suit the need. If controlled correctly, the right concentrations can be acheived to treat disease and then, in time, one could be salt free.

In my case, my fish has had a lot of recurring minor illnesses (mostly my ignorance on WQ) adn I have started to use salt regularly at 0.1%. When illness strikes, I have had success with raising the salt levels to 0.3% and the occasional salt bath at higher salt concentrations. So, I have, by default, continued to salt the tank to a minimum b/c of the particular history with my fish.

lots of people do not add salt as part of normal routine and have very ahpy healhty tanks! Sorry I did not help at all! :lol: My point, there is no absolute or even definitive answer! Therefore, it is a very good question! :D

Thanks very much on your reply, Graham :D thx for taking time to write such thoughtful answer, my good Dutch buddy :lol:

I'm in one mind with you btw, but I'd still like opinions from different people, and more on the benefits of salting.

One thing comes to mind, though. If the fish is used to the presence of salt in the tank, will it become more susceptible to disease if suddenly the tank is no longer salted?

Cheers

:) I personally don't use salt on a regular basis.I just don't feel that it's necessary.My fish are healthy because I focus on filtration,and keeping the water as pristene as possible for them. The only time that I have ever used salt,is during times when I was cycling a tank,and the Nitrites were a little high,and on a rare occasion when a fish wasn't feeling up to par.I personally don't believe in keeping constant salt levels in your tank.I think that in the end, it reduces it's power/strength's on killing Parasites/Illness's. This of course is only my opinion,and it seems to work for me. :rolleyes::lol:

I don't salt all the time, but sometimes it's tempting.

I suppose, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Slugger :)

PS : Devs, your smiley still has a black eye ;)

391307[/snapback]

Hey Slugger, FYI.......So do I! :rolleyes::lol: Really! It's almost gone except for this little persistent spot under my eye-kind of where you get "bags" when your eyes are tired & you lack sleep. Unbelievable,huh? :rolleyes:

If you have snails and some other types of tank mates, salt is not a good thing.

I do run my tanks at .1% salt on a normal basis. I generally have a fairly large number of fish coming and going through the tanks and so I keep them at .1% - up to .3% depending on what they are and where they are coming from or going to.

I do not know if it is my imagination or what, but they seem more relaxed that way. I do aggressive salt dips whenever a fish comes into the house (1/2 cup to gal.) and leave the fish in a .3% for up to 4 weeks.

I do not know about lowering a fish's immunities to disease - since most bacterial and viral diseases are not affected by salt, directly - but I do think that some types of parasites can definately become immune or less bothered by salt from constant exposure to it. That in mind, there is a lot to be said for salt free tanks.

I started using salt on a regular basis because nearly every fish I got was kept and raised in a .1% salt solution and I wanted to duplicate that environment.

I think Graham's answer was spectacular!!!! :)

Devs - man, that silly eye just keeps hangin' in there, huh? :(

Archived